Feeding requirements question

fishyfun2

Hi,
I'm thinking about starting a seahorse tank. I'm a little worried about what I'm reading of feeding requirements. The drs. site says feed 2x a day?? Has anyone used the brine shrimp hatching auto feeders?
Thanks!

teresaq

What kind of horses and what size of tank are you thinking about?????
Tell us more about your plans
T

reefnutpa

Originally Posted by FishyFun2
http:///forum/post/3177351
Hi,
I'm thinking about starting a seahorse tank. I'm a little worried about what I'm reading of feeding requirements. The drs. site says feed 2x a day?? Has anyone used the brine shrimp hatching auto feeders?
Thanks!
If you're planning a dwarf seahorse tank, you will be hatching/feeding baby brine shrimp at least twice a day. However, do NOT use the hatching auto feeders. You will need to hatch/enrich in seperate hatching vessels. A bit time consuming and labor intensive, but once you get a system not too bad.
If you're planning on the larger seahorses, you won't be feeding brine shrimp. You will be feeding frozen mysis shrimp.
Seahorses have no stomach, so yes - you will be feeding at least twice a day. Every day.
Tom

bender77

I definitely agree to twice a day. I work 3, 12 hrs shifts in a row 3 days a week and on those days I can only feed once. I feed in the morning and by the time I get home my lights are long off. I can tell a difference in my horses on Sunday. They are noticeably thinner from the 3 days of decreased feeding.
As far as dwarfs, I don't have them, so I can answer, but the auto feeder does not sound like a good idea.

fishyfun2

Thanks for the info, due to the feeding requirements horses may not be a good option for me at this point. Glad to have the responses, thank you!