feeding schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what to do........

lluv24

well since ive been changed over to reef i have been feeding once a day with nori sheets and reef crack wich has everthing in it that stuff is truly amazing for the corals and fish and inverts......... what do you guys think

nuro

a large part of the feeding is, um.. providing your live stock with adequate amounts of food. so whats your stock list and how much food are you feeding them?

Hi Guys,
I have a similar question. I have a 92 corner reef tank. was wondering how long I should keep my lights on for? I have a 36in duel 150 watt 14k MH with 4x39 watt T's & 18 lunar lights. I have been running the T5's for 8 hours and the MH for 5 hours. I was told its best to keep the moon lights on all night for the clown fish. I decided to do so since I added a coral banded shrimp. I am starting to get some brown algae. I have a phosphate reactor, I use RO water, All my levels are good. I use marine snow every other day. I do the same for feeding the fish. I started having the problem after I kept the moon lights on all night, I guess thats the problem, I figured I would ask what you think. I did use tap water to top off my sump the other day, I usually dont

Thank you again
LI Mike

flower

Originally Posted by lluv24
http:///forum/post/3196317
well since ive been changed over to reef i have been feeding once a day with nori sheets and reef crack wich has everthing in it that stuff is truly amazing for the corals and fish and inverts......... what do you guys think

I feed my fish late in the afternoon (Mysis shrimp, spuralina and brine shrimp. Also a chunk of shrimp soaked in garlic once in awhile) There is stuff on the rocks they eat and nibble at all day. Tangs keep the algae down when that is the food supply for most of the day.
When the algae is nearly all gone, I supplement with sheets.

flower

Originally Posted by longislandmike
http:///forum/post/3196615
Hi Guys,
I have a similar question. I have a 92 corner reef tank. was wondering how long I should keep my lights on for? I have a 36in duel 150 watt 14k MH with 4x39 watt T's & 18 lunar lights. I have been running the T5's for 8 hours and the MH for 5 hours. I was told its best to keep the moon lights on all night for the clown fish. I decided to do so since I added a coral banded shrimp. I am starting to get some brown algae. I have a phosphate reactor, I use RO water, All my levels are good. I use marine snow every other day. I do the same for feeding the fish. I started having the problem after I kept the moon lights on all night, I guess thats the problem, I figured I would ask what you think. I did use tap water to top off my sump the other day, I usually dont %%
Thank you again
LI Mike

Daytime Lights...12 on..12 off with moonlights.
MH lights an stay on for 8 hours and use the actinic for the last 4. I don't have T5s anymore, I don't know why you would use one then the other...as long as you have 12 daytime hours, do it anyway you like.
Brown algae is normal, hermit crabs love to eat it. Tap water will cause all kinds of other problems, like hair algae. Once won't hurt, but I wouldn't continue.

Hi, Thank you for your response. I use the moon lights then the T5's, then the MH then back down T5's and at last moon lights. I try and make it as real as possible like the sun coming up, then going back down. I will do the 12 on and 12 off and give that at try. Thank you very much for your help

Happy holidays
LI Mike

flower

Originally Posted by longislandmike
http:///forum/post/3196728
Hi, Thank you for your response. I use the moon lights then the T5's, then the MH then back down T5's and at last moon lights. I try and make it as real as possible like the sun coming up, then going back down. I will do the 12 on and 12 off and give that at try. Thank you very much for your help

Happy holidays
LI Mike

I do the same, but with actinic (blue lights) they come on first and then the MH, when the MH shuts off, the actinic lights run alone..then it all shuts down for the moonlights. Everyone has their own way. I had T5s back when they first came out, and they lasted about 6 months.
Get some hermit crabs for your brown algae...be sure to have extra shells so they leave the snails alone.

lluv24

hey everyone, sorry for the late responce .....okay my stock is powder blue,yellow tang, regal tang, starry blenny,scooter blenny,manderin goby... my inverts are 10-15 blue leg hermets, 20 or so snails i dont remember what kind? and one gbta.............. my corals are frogspawn,torch,feather duster,mushrooms,zoos, bubble coral, maze brain, and some leathers.... the tank size is a 150 with 40 gal fuge.

btldreef

Originally Posted by lluv24
http:///forum/post/3196773
hey everyone, sorry for the late responce .....okay my stock is powder blue,yellow tang, regal tang, starry blenny,scooter blenny,manderin goby... my inverts are 10-15 blue leg hermets, 20 or so snails i dont remember what kind? and one gbta.............. my corals are frogspawn,torch,feather duster,mushrooms,zoos, bubble coral, maze brain, and some leathers.... the tank size is a 150 with 40 gal fuge.
I feed my fish 2x a day, morning (9) and evening (5-6pm). Tangs, especially if they're still growing, eat ALOT. I supply two 3" strips of red/brown algae strips a day, PLUS a cube of San Francisco Brand Emerald Entree twice a day. I usually add ArctiPods or PE Mysis to the Emerald Entree because I have such a large stock list of juvenile fish.