Feeding star fish

dorkfish3155

I am buying a star fish for the first time and I was wondering if there are any special ways that you have to feed them?

sportbikemike

I have a red brittle star and a serpent and they both come out and try climbing the side of the tank. I feed them freeze dried shrimp but I mash them up in the water a little. they take it rght out of my hand. Plus when I feed the fish they are quick to grab even the smallest piece that hits the bottom.
By the way, what type are you getting?

garnet13aj

I place the food right under my starfish. How old is your tank and what kind are you looking to get some need an established tank. If you haven't researched, you may want to read and ask about the specific kind you want.
I only say this because I bought mine too early and I don't know if it will survive.
good luck.

boozzbro

i put the food right under one of its legs. Then let him get whatever the other fish dont eat. I fed it directly once a week or so.

ophiura

Originally Posted by dorkfish3155
I am buying a star fish for the first time and I was wondering if there are any special ways that you have to feed them?

PLEASE wait.
Seastars are very specialized animals and need VERY special care.
What kind of tank do you have - reef, fish onl?
How old is it?
What kind of fish do you have?
What are your SPECIFIC TANK PARAMETERS (This is critical, what is "fine" for fish can be FATAL for seastars).
Seastars need VERY LONG acclimations to mature tanks with pristine water parmeters (in particular specific gravity must be 1.025-1.026)
MANY SEASTARS CAN NOT BE SPOT FED AND YOU MUST HAVE A PROPER TANK FOR THEM. The chocolate chip star can be spot fed, but nonetheless is not suitable for many tanks. Please look into these questions before buying as it may save you some money and or heartache. Many seastars die in this hobby.

dorkfish3155

Originally Posted by ophiura
PLEASE wait.
Seastars are very specialized animals and need VERY special care.
What kind of tank do you have - reef, fish onl?
How old is it?
What kind of fish do you have?
What are your SPECIFIC TANK PARAMETERS (This is critical, what is "fine" for fish can be FATAL for seastars).
Seastars need VERY LONG acclimations to mature tanks with pristine water parmeters (in particular specific gravity must be 1.025-1.026)
MANY SEASTARS CAN NOT BE SPOT FED AND YOU MUST HAVE A PROPER TANK FOR THEM. The chocolate chip star can be spot fed, but nonetheless is not suitable for many tanks. Please look into these questions before buying as it may save you some money and or heartache. Many seastars die in this hobby.
Its a fish only tank, its 2 months old, I have a blue damsel, looking at buying 2 clownfish, a royal gramma, blenny, flame angel, and yellow tang. Not all at once of course but over time. The tank is a 30 gallon with 14 lbs of Live Rock

ophiura

As an aside, your tank, sorry to say, is definitely not suitable for the yellow tang for any period of time. In a 30 g tank, realistically, you are looking at 4-5 small fish. Tangs are very active and need a lot of room. It really is not suitable, I hope you will reconsider or at least research that purchase a lot.
It is really important to know your water parameters. Again, what is "perfect" for fish can be fatal for these stars. Keep in mind the chocolate chip may/will eat snails, any corals, anemones, etc that you may put in the tank over time. Most other seastars, except for brittlestars, would not be suitable for this tank size as they can not be spot fed and rely on 100+lbs or more of live rock.

dorkfish3155

Thanks for the advise on the yellow tang, I guess I will wait until I have room for a bigger tank. Is the tank big enough for a chocolate chip star?

dorkfish3155

Originally Posted by ophiura
Yes :) But I can't tell you yet if the WATER is good enough for the star.

On my last test the water tested perfect which is why I was getting ready for a few fish. What specific conditions do these stars need? I have moderate water movement and good lighting if that helps...

ophiura

Specific gravity, pH, alkalinity and nitrates are really critical to know - specific values. For example, a specific gravity of 1.020 is considered fine for a fish only, but it fatal for these stars. They are very very sensitive to fluctuations in many of these parameters, whereas fish are not.

sportbikemike

Chocolate Chips are nice and mine was pretty easy from the get go but I just took him/her out about 2 months ago. I had him/her for a little over a year but about 3 months ago i noticed him/her eating my mushrooms. After losing about 6 of them within a few eeks I knew he/she had to go. I would feed it small shrimp but just be careful. They ARE NOT REEF SAFE.