Feeding sun coral and Bubble Coral

superhero

Hey does anyone know how much and what to feed to bubble coral and to sun coral... I had some leftover frozen little plankton and i gave it some of that last night when its tentacles were extended but i dunno how often i should or what else i should add to it's diet

jmrents

Cyclopeeze works good for me with all corals and fish, but my sun coral
really loves it.
If you are unsure if your sun coral is eating, then take a plastic container that
will cover the sun coral and drill a small hole in the top of the container.
Cover the sun coral with the container and take the cyclopeeze and tank water and let defrost, then squirt a good dose into the hole of the container with an eye dropper.
This way only the sun coral will get the food, leave it covered for about
5 or 10 minutes and you should start to see it open up every time you dose your tank with cyclopeeze.
It worked really good for me when I first added the sun coral to my tank.
Good luck

al mc

Originally Posted by jmrents
http:///forum/post/3047654
Cyclopeeze works good for me with all corals and fish, but my sun coral
really loves it.
If you are unsure if your sun coral is eating, then take a plastic container that
will cover the sun coral and drill a small hole in the top of the container.
Cover the sun coral with the container and take the cyclopeeze and tank water and let defrost, then squirt a good dose into the hole of the container with an eye dropper.
This way only the sun coral will get the food, leave it covered for about
5 or 10 minutes and you should start to see it open up every time you dose your tank with cyclopeeze.
It worked really good for me when I first added the sun coral to my tank.
Good luck
Yup...I use a plastic water/soda bottle. Cut the bottom off, remove the cap, put over the coral to be fed. Squirt in the 'food' and put the top back on the bottle to seal in the food.

yosemite sam

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3047782
Yup...I use a plastic water/soda bottle. Cut the bottom off, remove the cap, put over the coral to be fed. Squirt in the 'food' and put the top back on the bottle to seal in the food.
You can do it that way, but you can also just to turn off the pumps for a few minutes and use a turkey baster to feed them. I use cyclopeze and mysis.

trikonreef

Here is our sun coral after he ate. we hand feed him. he always looks so pretty after he eats!!! about 30 minutes ago.

superhero

how did you get that little frag of sun coral over to the left of the pic??? did you frag it yourself? and if so how because i bought a huge 6 inch one and would love to maybe start a little colony somewhere else in the tank as an experiment! lol

trikonreef

Originally Posted by Superhero
http:///forum/post/3050463
how did you get that little frag of sun coral over to the left of the pic??? did you frag it yourself? and if so how because i bought a huge 6 inch one and would love to maybe start a little colony somewhere else in the tank as an experiment! lol
I did a little research on frag'n them and found that the best way was to use a Dremel tool with a cutting disk. I put the mother colony into a seperate tub and did my best to cut along a pre-chosen line (you want to TRY to cut between the polyps as best you can) and cut off 5-6 polyps INCLUDING as much of the base rock as I could. I then glued it to a piece of rubble. That easy!
It does make a mess of orange and grey goo when you cut into it so don't get shy as you start cutting in.

The mother colony didn't even seem phased after the fragging and all polyps were open and hungry that night. The frag on the other hand took until the next night to open up.

trikonreef

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
http:///forum/post/3047796
You can do it that way, but you can also just to turn off the pumps for a few minutes and use a turkey baster to feed them. I use cyclopeze and mysis.
I use a pypet, smash up formula 1 and a frozen food that has vitamins and a mix of other meaty foods, and feed it directly every night and sometimes every other night. I can tell if it's full because it lets the food hang out on its "arms" alot longer than normal. Then I'll skip the next night just to get it hungry again. The same thing gos for my bubble and both of them are growing like MAD! I look at pic's from a month ago compared to now and it seems as if they've doubled in size!
Feeding like this I keep a real close eye on my water. Nitrates tend to build up real quick. So be warned if you go this route!