Feeding Sun Corals

what do u guys feed ur sun corals? i'm going to get one and i know they dont need a lot of light but constant feeding and i just wanna know what u guys feed urs. thks in advance.

rappa

Brine or mysis works well. Just be ready to feed the thing all the time. I started out feeding all the time but it got old really fast and it withered away as I became lazy in feeding it.

jerthunter

Lately I have been feeding mine a food called Artic Pods. It is kind of like cyclopeeze except bigger. I have tried mysis however it seems to be slightly too large for the polyps.

salt monger

i've had a sun coral for about 5 months now and it's doing great, i feed mine once per day, about 5 or 6 days a week, i feed him frozed brine w/ spirolina, mysis, plankton, and chopped krill, i spray him with dt's phytoplankton occasionally, how i do it is with a plastic syringe (the type you get from the dentist when you have a tooth removed) i cut the tip back a little to make the opening bigger, and thaw out the food and suck it up in that device, i spray it just a little at first to get all the polyps to come out all the way then i feed the whole thing.... mine looks great. polyps are extended all the time, looks so good that sometimes people think it's fake.... i heard alot of things about them being hard to take care of, but my target feeding method seems to work great. good luck

rappa

Originally Posted by salt monger
i've had a sun coral for about 5 months now and it's doing great, i feed mine once per day, about 5 or 6 days a week, i feed him frozed brine w/ spirolina, mysis, plankton, and chopped krill, i spray him with dt's phytoplankton occasionally, how i do it is with a plastic syringe (the type you get from the dentist when you have a tooth removed) i cut the tip back a little to make the opening bigger, and thaw out the food and suck it up in that device, i spray it just a little at first to get all the polyps to come out all the way then i feed the whole thing.... mine looks great. polyps are extended all the time, looks so good that sometimes people think it's fake.... i heard alot of things about them being hard to take care of, but my target feeding method seems to work great. good luck

All that sounds like a PITA to me! I sure couldn't handle it. Just too much work.

peef

Mine is doing great also and I feed once a day, takes about 10 minutes to thaw food and about 5 or so to feed. Its worth the work best looking coral I have found when open!!!!! Here is a pic of mine. Mine also has no problem eating the mysis shrimp...Not arguing with person above at all just saying mine can for the record!!!
Also, having them in lighting doesn't hurt them it just doesn't help them at all....they will open more in low light that in high light so no need to tear apart the aquascape to make a new cave or anything just expect it to only open at night when LEDs are on or right around bed time (for the tank)!!!!