feeding ?

cosguy20

I feed my fish at night when I get home (around 6-7pm) I think that i read somewhere to feed them like 2-3 times a day. It the true or false. I just think that it's tooo much for a true clown and a Lunare Wrasse. What's your thought about this? thanks -steve

rayraypico

more than likely you are overfeeding. I feed my fish once a day. If you have a reef tank then you are definetly overfeeding. Look to make sure your fish are consuming the food. I usually give my fish 2-4 minutes to consume whatever they can in a night and thats it.

T

thomas712

I would think once a day for those fish would be fine. Or you could split the amount that you feed once into twice but still feed no more than the same amount.
Thomas

cosguy20

the brine shrimp of get are 1in X in cubes so what i have been doing while they are still frozen, with a very sharp razor blade I cut them into 4's and then put it back into the freezer and only use one 1/4 inch cube when feeding. Is that still to much for one time a day??
Thanks

T

thomas712

Doesn't sound like over feeding to me. A couple of those quarters a day sounds fine.
However brine shrimp itself is not very nutritious at all, and if that is all you feed them it would be like you trying to survive only on dog biscuts.
I would look into either soaking them in some Zoe, Zoecon or Selcon and when the brine is gone don't buy anymore.
Much better to purchase mysis or frozen plankton, which you could still add some of the vitamins to.
Thomas

cosguy20

"Much better to purchase mysis or frozen plankton, which you could still add some of the vitamins to."
What is plankton?? I thought that it was really really small bacteria? I've seen mysis. I'll get that'. What if I took all of them and thaw them and then mixed them up and then refrozen would that work or would it be a mess. Like to get them a variety all at once.

T

thomas712

Most of what swims in your water column is plankton. Mysis, krill,brine, and any number of minute little critters, many in larve stage, in the water column. This would and can also include plant life.
Comes frozen in those little cube trays.
Thomas