Few questions about open brains

wocka1

I just purchased an open brain and was wondering if the bottom of him should be hard with no tissue covering it.
He looked pretty healthy and puffy at the LFS (where I work) and was wondering how I can get him to take to food.
Also, what type of food should I feed him I got krill, phytoplankton, cyclopeeze, and brine shrimp

T

tizzo

It should have a thin layer of tissue covering it. It should also have a mouth in the middle and depending on how big he is, will help deturmin what to feed him, but the brine is what I fed mine with the first time. Mysis, or even krill as long as the pieces are small. Just place it in his center and keep the current off for a few minutes and he will open his mouth and suck it up. If you have shrimp that will steal the food you may wanna place a container over him temporarily.
Their feeder tenticles usually will come out at night.

wocka1

Thanks Tizzo, my brain seems to have a hard bottom but is very healthy looking.. hope he doesnt die.
What do lunar LED lights do? Will they bring out his tenticles

T

tizzo

The lunar lights serve 2 purposes... One, so you can see into the tank all night, and two, it is supposed to mimic what your corals think is the full moon.
His feeders should come out with or without the LED.

wocka1

So far, maybe an hour or 2, the feeders are still not out. I placed a piece of krill onto him and lets see if he grabs it :D
Do I need to place it by the mouth?

jerth6932

Its going to take some time for him to get use to his new home, if you JUST purchased him....... He will open with time!!!

T

tizzo

Yeah, that was gonna be my next question... When did you get him?? If it was just today, then you may be looking at your first peessed off coral, LOL!

wocka1

Hehe, yea maybe 4 hours ago and now im trying to make him eat!
Think I should just wait till tomorrow? What about feeding him every other day?

T

tizzo

He may not eat for a few days so I wouldn't even try. When he does eat every other day is not necessary if you have adaquate lighting. Once a week or every other... They are not very high maintanance.

jerth6932

I would wait.... that is for sure, cause you are tring to push him a bit to quick.... Yeah every other day or third day would be good!

wocka1

I just mowed the krill and it almost looks like his mouth is starting to open, so im gonna give him 10 more mins then turn the circulation back on