few questions...

fbm

1. Tank has cycled and I am thinking of getting a reef cleaner package and was wondering if that would be too big of a bio load introduced all at once and cause a spike in amonia and trites? 72 gallon bowfront
2. cleaner clams-do they need substrate or would they be happy in the sump with just an acrylic bottom?
3. refractometer-what is a good brand considering cost as well?

michaeltx

1. Tank has cycled and I am thinking of getting a reef cleaner package and was wondering if that would be too big of a bio load introduced all at once and cause a spike in amonia and trites? 72 gallon bowfront
it wont add mush bioload for a reef clean up crew and wont cause much of a cycle if any at all in fact they clean the tank of stuff that causes the cycle.
2. cleaner clams-do they need substrate or would they be happy in the sump with just an acrylic bottom?
not sure on that one I had some clams in my 100 for my trigger to eat on and the would bury their foot in the sand so I am going to sya the need something to attach to
3. refractometer-what is a good brand considering cost as well?
I had one simliar to this that worked great till I broke it LOL https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=6 BTW I broke it cause I didnt pack it right in the move from Texas .
Mike

spartanph

1. A better question would be what size cleaning crew can your tank currently support. If you add to much cleaning crew your tank may not provide enough food for them. With my 85 gallon I added a dozen astrea snails and a dozen hermits to get started. They did a nice job of cleaning up my initial diatoms and hair algae that developed. About a week after adding them my tank was clean again.
2. I'd be interested in hearing an answer as well. I'm considering adding cleaner clams as well. I'd also like to know if they will survive in a 1/2" to 1" crushed coral substrate as well.
3. I purchased the refractometer from this site and it is great. Very solid construction and about half the price that my LFS wanted for a similar model.

michaeltx

these are some that the trigger had it was the best way to feed him the ones standing up on the right side is the way they positioned themselves. so I say they need something to hold on to.
mike

J

jesses89

crushed coral? yikes.........
i heard after a few months.. major problems with crushed coral.. live sand is way better.
Mike,
Those are some expensive food items for your trigger... 6 bucks a pop?
what do u feed clams? im curious.. i want to try keeping some

michaeltx

these particular ones were from the grocery store but do the same as the clams on the site so the werent 6$ a piece the ones on this site probably clean more than the ones at the store though.
Mike