fiddler crab in my tank....

royalgamma

Well broke down my sons 10 gallon fresh water tank and put his gold fish in a glass bowl. But I still had a fiddler crab...so I thought what the heck I threw it into the tank downsatirs. So far it looks like no problems.

What do you guys think, will it live. and if so will it cause any trouble in there?
Thanks

tropills

It will live, But man it's a fish eating machine hate to say it but pull him out and either give it away or put him in your fuge if you have one.

sepulatian

I have had fiddlers in with all different fw fish (neons, zebras, female bettas, mollys, etc.) they never bothered my fish. They would eat a fish if it died, but I never saw them actually try to grab anything live. As far as in salt I am not certain that he will live if he was just put into the tank without acclimation.

royalgamma

well for one its a female and has a small claws.As far as "needing" land they do like to climb to get to the surface but I don't think they "need" it to survive.

royalgamma

well this experiment is over ...it climbed out and the puppy took care of the rest. So it got a burial at sea ....flush, flush

larryndana

Originally Posted by RoyalGamma
well for one its a female and has a small claws.As far as "needing" land they do like to climb to get to the surface but I don't think they "need" it to survive.

Yes, they do need land. They need a way to get out of the water, if not they will die after a while.

seasalt101

yep killed 1 myself kind of a family tradition with me, my mom drowned a fw beta in 1 of those vases with a plant in there that was popular 6-7 years back now yeah they need air from the surface who knew and me no way for the fiddler to climb out of the water my emeralds had crabcakes that night
tobin