fighting green hair algae

one-fish

been awhile since last post been trying to rid GHA in the 75 gal fish invert display tank. tank has been up and running now for about a year and a half now tank maintainence had to take a backseat due to ongoing chemo treatments. while trying to tune skimmer I caused it to overflow couple times got frustrated and just unplugged it. 2 months past, which caused a GHA breakout. truth is I have been battling this from the start, current livestock 1 clown, 1 cardinal, 1,foxface,1 fairy wrasse, coral banded shrimp, 3 hermits and various snails,all doing fine.water chemistry good but ph was at8.0 tested today.not thinking it totally out I stopped using the overhead light awhile back., it killed it but left a mess dead and dying algae covering the rocks making matters worse Live and Learn I guess...Wanting to get the tank back now that I have the time, I have done 4 water changes scrubbed the rocks twice managed to rid 90%of the dead algae. I use water from LFS

one-fish

Thanks was a hard road to travel no sun light yes using API test kit always was .25 even with LFS water gave up. used gfo in a reactor no change will look at a hydrogen peroxide treatment never heard of Thanks again

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
If the primary growth is on the rocks, could be as easy as removing the rocks, blasting with peroxide, rinsing and doing a water change. Then running some basic phosphate pads in the filter.

one-fish

lights have been off for about a month killing all algae will continue water changes,skimmer back up waiting for it to break in again after cleaning will keep your advise in memory if/when I turn them back on as long as it won't harm anything Thanks for your help!!!