Fighting Manderinfish?

anti

I think my spotted manderian is trying to fight my green one.. is this normal? I thought they got along? He bites his fin and stays hooked on to him and thrashes about..

S

smartorl

I could be wrong but I thought mandarins were one to a tank only. I will go peek around and see what I can find.

anti

I have 4 of them.
I read that the males can fight. hmm never had a problem before..

btldreef

Males will fight with one another and from personal experience, the green spotted ones tend to be more aggressive. I tried three times to keep a second mandarin with my green spotted, once time I tried a female spotted and twice I tried female red's, each time my male spotted killed the other mandarin.
They really should be one per tank unless it's a mated pair.

aquaknight

My brother sent me a vid, I can't seem to find ATM, of two male mandarins fighting (to the death stuff, not a dominance thing) at one of SeaWorld's 1000+ gallon aquariums. So even then they sometimes don't work out

gill again68

Mandarins typically feed on natural foods and not commercial food. Unless you put it in Meowzer's tank.
Most will tell you that it tanks a mature tank (1 year old or more) and a source to replenish the food. They eat pods. So a refugium is a nice addition to your tank. Also you can just buy pods and keep you system stocked that way. Now some do get trained on frozen but I wouldn't plan on that when purchasing. Hope that helps.

anti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/382838/fighting-manderinfish#post_3343848
Males will fight with one another and from personal experience, the green spotted ones tend to be more aggressive. I tried three times to keep a second mandarin with my green spotted, once time I tried a female spotted and twice I tried female red's, each time my male spotted killed the other mandarin.
Oh i missed this duh
weird i have had two in there forever with no prob
how long did they live before they were killed?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti http:///forum/thread/382838/fighting-manderinfish#post_3344803
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/thread/382838/fighting-manderinfish#post_3343848
Oh i missed this duh
weird i have had two in there forever with no prob
how long did they live before they were killed?
My male has killed all in about the 4-6 months range of each being introduced. The female spotted lasted the longest.
3 in an 85 if really NOT a good idea.

teresaq

I agree, I had two in a well established 150 - They were male and female, and one still killed the other. Not to mention that you prob dont have enough for 3 of them to eat.
I would find homes for at least two of them.
T

anti

Well even if its called a blenny, its still a mandarin... and its living with another one :)

teresaq

no, scooter blennies(neosynchiropus Ocellatus)- are not the same as mandarins. Mandarins are not blennies they are a dragonet. Synchiropus Splendidus

al mc

I had problems with a scooter blenny and spotted mandarin. Blenny was present in DT first. Once the mandarin was added it proceeded to go after it constantly. I moved the scooter to my refugium...technically not a refugium anymore I quess.
I was under the impression that fish of similar body types sometimes would be aggressive with other and this is why I had problems.