Filling my tank with fish

As you all know, I have a 29 gallon biocube. I was thinking about getting an arrow crab.
My desired setup here is about 3 clownfish, a couple hermits, an arrow crab and POSSIBLY something else small...maybe like one other fish.
I was wondering what fish go well with my clownfish.
Seahorse? Damsels? Puffer?
Lionfish? small Triggers?
What are your opinions?

cowfishrule

a royal gramma, or pj card would go great.
seahorse has different requirements.
damsels are well, best not to get one. you will regret it.
puffer, lion, and trigger are all too big for a 29, and would eat your clown.

fishycpa

Seahorse?
Damsels?
Puffer?

Lionfish?
small Triggers?

+1 to the RG, maybe a clown goby? Also 1 less clown

Cool, I'll look into those.
If you say only 2 clowns then I'll only do 2 clowns.
Are tangs too big? I forgot to mention those.
And is there any problem with my desire for an arrow crab (1) in this tank with these fish? Will it kill them?

atrialfib22

Yea Tangs are definitely not gonna be comfortable in your 29g. I would say at least 55 gallons for them. In my opinion the 6 line wrasses are a little too aggressive at times. But some people keep them without any issues. I personally would opt for a goby or something like that.

S

surfinusa

Lions,triggers, and puffers need 125+ gallons, beacuse they all get big and aggressive.Tangs they need at least a 6 foot tank(this is just a good rule to follow) for maximum swimming room, plus most species get big.

vmartino

Yea a pair of clowns is all you need. fire fish are awesome, or some kind of goby. Also bangai cardinals are AMAZING looking fish and are a nice non-aggressive fish. also, there are a few wrasses, like a six-line, or maybe a filamented or carpenter's flasher wrasse, they are absolutely stunning, and should be fine in your tank

A

alexa11

arrow crabs can be quite mean and if you have any shrimp in there eventally they might kill it--i had an arrow crab kill my cleaner shrimp earlier in the game, and was told at a lfs that she had seen them

[hr]
fish with their legs.

my clown is doing ok...the guy at the store said to wait 2 weeks before adding...could i add before that? do i need to QT them? if so, how long?

I was at the pet store today. They didnt have any more percula clowns for me to buy. I am going to wait until thursday to get one more.
The clerk (a different one this time) said the same things you did about the gobies and the royal grammas. He also suggested small yellow tangs.
I asked him if they would work with a 29 gallon tank and he said yes, just not multiple different kinds of tangs together. So anyway...I think I'm going to buy 1 more clown and 2 different kinds of fish...probably a firefish and a tang if I can.
Also Interex mentioned getting a small puffer. They had a porcupine puffer. Could I do that instead of a tang or firefish? I know you guys said no puffers, Interex said no larger than 4 inches. What do you think?

rtspeed

Well before the tang police get into this there is no way to keep a tang in a small tank, they need at least 6ft of swimming room, so a no on a tang.
A puffer not only need alot of swimming room, but are very aggresive fish and will try to eat your clowns, also they are messy eaters and a tank that size will get fouled up in no time.
Try to look into a warsse, goby , blennies, demsel, glass fish,
This is only a recomendation as you can do with your tank as you please but i would never exceed the limit of 3-2inch fish or 4-1inch fish. Its a good rule of thumb for keeping a healthy tank and has a nice fish size to tank ratio.

atrialfib22

I dunno why the guy at the pet store would tell you that tangs are a good choice for a 29g (wait...I do know why, but it doesn't make it right).
Porcupine puffers are very cool...but sorry, IMO it would also require a bigger tank. They tend to predate on a lot of your inverts too and coral if you plan to keep any in the future.

ok...I understand completely...and before I bought, I asked you guys. lol.
Now you mentioned a wrasse...there is one at the store that I LOVE, but he said they get to be a foot...It was a Lunar wrasse I believe.
Now he said no...I REALLY want one, lol...what do you suggest? Will it eat my clowns?

rtspeed

no a lonar wwon't work but try a carpenters warsse, six or eight or 4 or 12 line warsse and fairy warsse.

OK, thanks! I have a percula clown...am I able to get a tomato clown to go with him or a cinnamon clown? Maroon?
THe guy at the pet store said no, but on this website I researched the percula clown and it said it gets along with other clowns in the same tank. Any thoughts?