filter help please

jthomas0385

The two bio-wheels on my HOB filter stopped turning because theres so much gunk built up on them. should i clean them, should I buy new ones, or should I leave them alone? Thanks for the input.

krypton74

What kind of gunk? Algae? Is there a lot in the tank too? My best guess would be to NOT get rid ofthem. They have your valuable bacteria established on htem already. Do a water change and in the old water give them a good shake in it to clean them off. Add new water and cleaner wheels and you'd be good to go.

metweezer

Originally Posted by JThomas0385
http:///forum/post/2621606
The two bio-wheels on my HOB filter stopped turning because theres so much gunk built up on them. should i clean them, should I buy new ones, or should I leave them alone? Thanks for the input.
Is your adjustable flow control directed at the bio-wheels to turn them?

florida joe

IMO its not what’s on your bio-wheels but what is on your bearings or axle check them for dirt or mineral deposits. you may need to clean them

gmann1139

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2621906
IMO its not what’s on your bio-wheels but what is on your bearings or axle check them for dirt or mineral deposits. you may need to clean them
Ditto. If I don't pour water over the plastic points of rotation every once in a while, I get a sandy mud buildup there.

sprinter144

Make sure you have good water flow and the intakes are not clogged. I always took out the bio-wheels and let them float in the water while cleaning the unit. Make sure the ends of the biowheels are clean. Clean the spray holes and area (bearings) where the wheels sit. As long as the pump is working this should do it.

nordy

Only clean the biowheels if there is a bunch of stuff growing on them. The spray bar can get algae and stuff in it and really affect how much water gets directed onto the wheel. Also, if the filter that powers the biowheels needs a filter change, that can also reduce flow to point where the wheels just won't turn. In my experience, it's usually the spray bar clogging that will slow down/stop the biowheel from turning.