filter help

dogman

I have a 125g fowlrls. I have two fluval 404's, skimmer (remora pro), power heads, and a uv.
Question, what would be the best material if any to fill the 404's with? Tank is two yrs. old. I have been using chemi pure and polyfilters only, I took out the fluval prefilters.
My queen angel, and blonde tang have fin problems, (fins look chewed or ?) and the queen is fleshy (lacking scales or color on either side of head) around head.
Does the chemi pure cause any of these problems?
Tank parameters are perfect except nitrate around 80 plus.
I,ve started dosing the last week with AZNO3 to help controll nitrates.
Deaths have been rare over the 2 years.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, THANK YOU.

damndamsel

80 is extreme I would think. I would do a water change and try to figure out where all that nitrate is coming from.

dogman

I feed once a day, and food is gone in 2min., so I'm not sure what else to do. Any thoughts from all about the other points? THANKS

S

sebae0

i would agree that your trates are high, how often do you clean the fluvals? if you wait to long they increase the nitrate that is produced and make it sky rocket. junk gets stuck in there and decomposes adding to the nitrate do water changes and clean the fluvals more often and you should see better results in your fish.