Filter media recomendations...

sagxman

I'm looking for some advice on specific filter material for my Fluval canister.
I am aware of some peoples disdain for canisters but I have chosen to use it and clean it regularly so that it will not be a nitrate haven.
At the moment I am using the carbon and biomax rings that came with the filter. I'm wonder what else I should be using. Should I put in a bag of Chemipure? Fluval makes a product called ClearMax. Is this similar to Chemipure? They also make Opit-Carb. Is this something I should use?

D

dennis210

Try running just carbon and no biomax rings or noodles. If your system has rock and sand you don't need the rings.

snakeblitz33

For a canister, I would personally use a sponge block filter in the bottom, with some ceramic pellets and then a blue and white bonded filter media lining on the top - should be just fine and very easy to clean and replace the media top filter.
You should clean your filter at least once a week. When you clean it, wash the ceramic balls/pellets in saltwater so you don't kill all the beneficial bacteria. Instead of using clean newly mixed saltwater, dip some out of your aquarium to wash the balls in. Then replace the water you took out of your tank with newly mixed saltwater, essentially doing a small water change.
Good luck with the canister filter! The only form of filtration I have on my tanks is a deep sandbed and a lot of flow.

aztec reef

Agreed, Only use carbon..and when you get bored with it, U
can just use the filter as a wave maker / water circulator.
Whatever u do , try not to make that fluval your primary filtration...look at it as insurance or as a supportive biofilter..

spanko

+1 to snak and aztec. On cleaning the media, don't scrub them, just swish them around in the water vigerously to dislodge any loose detritus.
On what Aztec said, rock and sand should be your primary filtration.

sueandherzoo

I know I'm a newbie with lots to learn and I've read a lot of the arguments about filtration media and canisters in general, but a big part of me STILL likes to use mechanical filtration in my Fluvals. I have a 405 on my 46 gallon seahorse tank and a 305 on my 55 gallon FOWLR and they are both doing a great job, at least so far. I figure if you're going to go to the trouble, expense, electricity expenditure, etc. of setting up a canister you might as well use it to grab some of the stuff that would normally just go right back into the tank. Granted I am still a newbie so I don't mind the twice a month cleaning of the canisters and I find that the filter media DOES catch a LOT of stuff. If it weren't trapped there it would still be in my tank, right? If I get to the point where I am no longer being religious with canister cleanings (like in the spring and summer when I devote my time to my outdoor ponds) then I will probably stop putting polyfill in the Fluvals and just use ceramic and carbon.
In answer to the original poster's question, I use polyester fiberfill, quilting/batting material, which you can buy in huge bags or on a roll in any large department store (fabric section) or in a crafts or fabric store. I use it on all my outdoor ponds and it's cheap and effective.
Hope that helps, and please don't flame the newbie (me!) too badly.

pbnj

For my Fluval 405....
--4 Bags Fluval Carbon [2 new; 2 re-cycled (rinsed]
--1 Phosphate Pad (great for removing phosphates)
--Only two small sponge filters in the top chamber (for free-floating carbon)
--No other mechanical/biological filtration media
I change the media every 15 days, but I also have plenty of live rock and a powerful skimmer.

sagxman

Thanks for the tips so far folks. I agree that the canister should not be my #1 source of filtration. I intend to rely on my LR and LS and skimmer to do most of the job. I know the main problem can potentially be the nitrate build up in the biomedia and the sponges.
Any suggestions for or against running chemipure in the canister? I've also heard people mention Purigen. I have never really heard of this product but I did see it at the LFS today.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by SaGxMAN
http:///forum/post/2875848
Any suggestions for or against running chemipure in the canister? I've also heard people mention Purigen. I have never really heard of this product but I did see it at the LFS today.
that should work. i never used it though. I dont even know if its coal,coconut, wood or peat-based carbon..
Purigen , is pretty good as they claim to be efficient on removing proteins,ammonia,nitrites,nitrates and most organics..The problem with that is that it may depleat some beneficial trace elements in water column as well..
Who can say?
theres no way to know what it really removes or doesn't remove. Unless u have test kits for every major ,minor trace elements..
I usually stick to Black diamond carbon (its coal-based,) supposly the most efficient carbon..
Did i mentioned that i dont throw away the spent carbon?
I save it, cause im working on a DIY recuring project which is done through thermal reactivation for carbon reuse.