Filter on or off?????

aandersen

I just put Caribsea Aragonite in my tank and have milky water, although I have read several posts about this I am still not sure if I should leave my filter on or turn it off until the dust settles, there are not fish in my tank??? Anyone??????

T

thomas712

Leave it on. Your filter will have the bacteria in it if this is an established tank, the bacteria will help coat the sand particles and eventually wight them down. Or is this a new tank?
Thomas

aandersen

This is a new tank, I have not added salt to the water yet, just filled it today and added the sand...any suggestions????

T

thomas712

Well I left my filter on the whole time after adding dry aragonite. It was cloudy for weeks, but then I kept messing with it, adding rocks, then adding more sand once I could see. I did change the filter floss in my filter several times to remove the sediment that it collected, and so that it did not get clogged and overflow.
Have you challenged the cycle at all? raw shrimp or something?
Thomas

darthmatt

I recently went through the same thing. I turned everything off to let it settle faster. The problem was, after it all settled, I had a fine layer of silt on top of my sand. Every little movement in the tank(i.e. powerheads, cleaning, setting up LR) all caused huge clouds of the silt. I eventually had to syphin off the layer of silt(half my water went with it). But after that, it is very nice sand. Hope everything goes well. matt

aandersen

Ok here's the deal, I just finished cycling my 20 gal and have about 20lbs LS and 10lbs LR, there are no inhabitants, I am moving everything to my 55 and just set it up today and put water in it and was planning on adding everything from my 20 in the next couple days, after I add salt and get the temp where it needs to be....Should I add the salt and then put the LS and LR in there, will this help, or should I just wait for it to clear up before doing anything...I am also going to move all the water from my 20 to the 55
Thanks for the replies

T

thomas712

Ok let me get this straight:
Setup 55 with water and salt right now. You also added Dry sand right?
I would not put any live SAND or ROCK in the new salt mix just yet. I would set the 55 up with water and salt first. Then add the sand or precure the sand seems to be a popular idea right now.
After tank, water, salt and dry sand, then after say 48 hours I might start adding your livesand and live rock over. A hang on filter with the bacteria already going might be good too.
Thomas