Filter or Skimmer for new tank?

scott v

Help im kinda lost here.
I was told that I dont need a filter and all I needed was a skimmer. If thats correct, I would like to change my question about "what kinda filter" to what kind of skimmer for a 55 gal. would do.
Thanks. Oh I want it to hang on the back of the tank as well. I cant afford to have a sump and have it screw up.
Scott
Northern Virginia

bison

I'm new to this hobby, but as I understand it, filters and skimmers each removed different things from the water, and the use of both provides the best water quality. I've also read that while skimmers may be optional (initially at least), a filter of some kind is a necessity from day one.
I have a Wet/Dry Trickle Filter (a rather big affair with a sump, several filters and "bio-balls"). Last week I added a SeaClone 100 protein skimmer (which can hang on the back of the tank or can sit in the sump, as I have it). I also just added some cured live rock which I hope will provide additional biological filtration. Don't know if these are the best, but they're what I have and they seem to be working.
Good luck to you!

kevin j

I must disagree with bison you don't need a filter from day one and I would spend the money on a protien skimmer. I have a 75 gallon reef and had a emperor 400 on it. I had all kinds of problems with algae, then I got rid of the filter and have won the battle. The bad thing about bio-wheels and bio-ball are there nitrate making machines in the long run. So I took the money and bought a euro-reef and have been doing great with no filter.
But there is no one way to run a tank, what works for one person may not work for another.
kevin:D

wintrmte

Originally posted by Scott V
Help im kinda lost here.
I was told that I dont need a filter and all I needed was a skimmer. If thats correct, I would like to change my question about "what kinda filter" to what kind of skimmer for a 55 gal. would do.
Thanks. Oh I want it to hang on the back of the tank as well. I cant afford to have a sump and have it screw up.
Scott
Northern Virginia

Ok, I smell religious battle brewing here.. But, I'll throw in my newbie experience.
When we started our 40 gal. reef tank we had NO filtration.
HUGE mistake. We cycled with a raw shrimp. After 7 days of stinky the shrimp floating, our house was unlivable. Turning on the carbon filtration helped remove the stink, and also helped cycle the water.
In my opinion, you want to have filtration going at the start because you want to get good water movement through your tank.
The skimmer, on the other hand, you probably don't want (and we never used during our cycles) to run at the start because it's going to strip out important particles from the water.
Our skimmer is the Red Sea Prizm.. We've been really happy with it, and it hangs on the back of the tank. We hardly ever have to adjust it, and it is very quiet. I'd recommend it, personally.
Anyway, my .02 worth. :)

fshhub

do you have any LR? and what do you have for substrate.
IMEO, the advice of NO filter is 100% accurate, if you have a dsb and or LR while using a skimer. In fact, I reccomend this HIGHLY over the use of ANY conventional filter.
In fact, many or most who start with a filter almost always eventually convert and go filterless. As it is a better more efficient and easier way to run the tank. Not to mention it is more stable
again,
JMEO

S

slofish

I agree, you dont need a filter. Id go with a skimmer only. Im not sure how many people on this board actually use only a regular filter or even use both. The two brands i hear about the most for hang on back skimmers are Prism and SeaClone.

marvida

For me one of the most difficult things with this hobby is to try to figure out just what you want as an end result for your tank. If you can figure this out you can then determine what you will need for your setup. Skimmers are always a good thing IMO, as are filters in some setups. Do you know what you want to do with your tank?
Good Luck!
Ken

birdy

For a HOB skimmer I would recommend the CPR bak-pak or a Remora C, they are the two best HOB skimmers out there, I had a prizm and it worked for a couple years and then I had to buy another skimmer, start with the best and you will save money in the long run.
As far as another filter, I had a emporer but it was empty unless I needed to run carbon or a phophate sponge, Now I use the empty side of my cpr bak pak to run carbon or phosphate sponge (this was the reason I decided on the bak-pak)

scott v

Originally posted by fshhub
do you have any LR? and what do you have for substrate.
IMEO, the advice of NO filter is 100% accurate, if you have a dsb and or LR while using a skimer. In fact, I reccomend this HIGHLY over the use of ANY conventional filter.
In fact, many or most who start with a filter almost always eventually convert and go filterless. As it is a better more efficient and easier way to run the tank. Not to mention it is more stable
again,
JMEO

I have NOTHING yet. I have a dirty used tank, and a stand. I am wanting to get my hardware before I get anything started. I want a filter or skimmer, not sure yet, and a heater and lighting. So, im starting with this filter or skimmer thread.
Thanks

scott v

What do I want in my tank? everyone askes.
Im not sure. Im a newb so when i get my first cycle started and i need starter fish i will go with Damsels.
Over all for a first tank (50 gal) I want, a matched pair of clowns with an anenamoe (sp), a maderine, maybe a blood shrimp, and who knows what else. I want your normal newbie fish :)
Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm still lookin.

beaslbob

scott:
Welcome to saltwater tanks.
just my experience here. My 55g newly established is running fine without a skimmer. I do have a tetratech pf550 plus a home made refugium/sump. Tetratech is noisy and you do have to keep changing the pads each week or so. You could make you own sump/refugium for about the same price if you are inclined. Would actually be a much more effective setup.
I cycle with plain old mollies. Damsels are not that exciting and become territorial.
To me the price of a skimmer is much better spent on other things. Increased lighting, marine plants, refugiums, or even a larger tank to start with.
Finally I highly recommend you establish plant life of some sort. macro algaes or marine plants consume ammonia, nitrAte, phosphates, and carbon dioxide and therefore complete the nitrogen cycle. This results in a balanced and stable system which need much less maintenance.
Again welcome to salt and this board.

I

iluvfish

IMEO, the advice of NO filter is 100% accurate, if you have a dsb and or LR while using a skimer. In fact, I reccomend this HIGHLY over the use of ANY conventional filter
How does this quote thing work??? :confused:
Now I'm really confused! I have a wet/dry trickle filter with a built in skimmer. Is this a bad thing? I have a 55gal tank w/ 100lbs LR and a 4inch DBS. Should I have stayed with just my seaclone 100 and power heads in the tank to circulate the water?

marvida

The only reason I like to keep a filter around is for scrubbing, as may be needed, carbon, phosgard etc.

beaslbob

Originally posted by iluvfish

like this :D
you can click on the quote button which "quotes" the original poster. I broke your quote up in editing by using the "[" and "]" commands. For instance i added a /B and /QUOTE ( in the square brackets) to stop the quotes. Then you can preview the reply to see if they work.
Now I am adding a B and QUOTE command to continue the quote.
Now I'm really confused! I have a wet/dry trickle filter with a built in skimmer. Is this a bad thing? I have a 55gal tank w/ 100lbs LR and a 4inch DBS. Should I have stayed with just my seaclone 100 and power heads in the tank to circulate the water?
Yes it can be very confusing. Only you can actually answer this question. Does the tank seem to be doing what you want or not?
Basically a tank is a container with saltwater and livestock. Most everything else is as much for the enjoyment of humans viewing the tank as it is for the actual environment of the inhabitants. For instance you could go with very little or no filtration and constantly pump in new sea water. That may be a little expensive unless you live 10 feet away from the ocean. The trickle filter with skimmer is probably as good as anything. My personal preference is to use plant life and not live rock or live sand.

fshhub

Originally posted by iluvfish

IMEO, not necessarily bad, but definitely not a good thing
It is a rare case when I do reccomend filters, esp wet dry's
to answer your q about the seaclone, that depends on size of tank, amount of LR, substrate, stock and sump/fuge
scott, forget the filter
get the skimmer AND some LR, also do a DSB, you will be fine
Never! put macros in your main tank, unless you are ready to take care fo them or have the fish to help you control them. NEVER!
Cycle your tank with LR and dead shrimp, forget the damsel, UNLESS you intend to have them as permanent stock
IMO, the money spent on a skimmer is one of the BEST investments that you can make. If not the actual best, esp for a beginning reefer. Much better to spend 100 on a prizm for a 55 gallon then to spend 50 to 80 or more on a cheeap garbage box filter. and then keep putting the money into filters. ESPECIALLY since most of us(once we wake up), go out and remove them OR disable them and remove the filters only keeping it for circultaion.
and plants do nothing as far as consuming amonia or nitrate, or for cycling. What they do is use up the organics in the water, which in return helps to aleviate any ammonia, thus making the end result LESS nitrate even becoming in the tank. and a cycled tank, is the end result of your ammonia breaking down and naturally converting to nitrIte, then into nitrAte and then to nitrogen gas, THROUGH the use of bacteria, which lives in the rock and sand, and on the glass and everyting. They colonize all surfaces in the tank. INCLUDING filters, thus replacing filters IS a bad thing, by introducing uncolonized material into the tank. On the other hand, never changing them is probably worse yet. But changing them, well starts at least a mini cycle all over again. Sometimes this is so small it may go undetected, esp if you do not test every half hour. However it does happen, and if it reaches any kind of level, it can and does stress fish and inverts. AND you do want it to cycle, this will create stability .
I will avoid commmmenting on trickle filters for now, as this is not the question being posed. I will just say that My preference and experince is to NOT use them(esp with a built in skimmer). Unless we are looking at a very aggressive and messy tank. and it is rare that I will reccomend one. very rare, and based upon your plans for this tank, this would not be one of those rare instances.
Last, I will agree that skimmerless can be done, but would not reccomend it to anyone who is starting out, even with a little experience. Skimmerless is NOT easy and does take some understanding. Not just a little advice from a few people who have done this for a mere few weeks, or have not actually achieved a good stabel tank(for more than a few months). And definitely not based upon advice from those who reccomend a filter OVER a skimmer! The idea of skimmerless means, NO skimmer, NO filter, only movement and NATURAL nitrate reductiona nd NATURAL nutrient exprt AND NATURAL cleaning.
IMO, a skimmer and/or a good refugium are essential for any beginner and ANY experienced individual. 10 and 20 yr vets not using skimmers, well I can almost guarentee that any of them have a fuge and or a sump. and anyone with any type of experience(skimmerless or not, and long term or short) will always reccomend LR and NO macro in the main tank, substrate opinions vary but not in tank macro and LR debates.
sure, this is opinion, but it is experienced opinion, and GOOD advice. some othier things that I have heard are not so good advice,and this is NOT my opinion, but faact. Although nothing is written in stone, some things are jst flat out bad advice. AND/or obviously new trials with not merit to back or support them. As well I can assure you there will be none, bc these particular issues have not only been disproven, BUT never proven and most attempts have not only failed to proove but crashed severely. Where they have been lucky to even see survival, if at all. IN OTHER WORDS, pick and choose the advice you use wisely. Listen to experience and not so much to NEWLY attempted things that are disputed by many or all, there is normally a reason for people advising against one thing or anohter.
sorry if i rambled, i just get real tired of cleaning up trajedies after new reefers take bad advice and use it without knowing any better. And i would prefer one or 2 people be mad at me, then to see unknowing individuals fail and give up such a great hobby because someone did not open their mouth

nm reef

DSB=deep sand bed.
All I wanted to add to the above comments is this:
In my three years on this board there has been one and only one marine hobbyist that suggests mollies to cycle...no means of filtration...assorted macros in the display...suggests using tap water only...swears that water changes are never needed...and is proud of a display that looks more like a refugium in need of a major cleaning&harvest.
ONLY one...if the ideas and methods of this individual were so effective why are there not additional followers of this type method?I challenge any member here to provide supporting evidence for this quote:
Finally I highly recommend you establish plant life of some sort. macro algaes or marine plants consume ammonia, nitrAte, phosphates, and carbon dioxide and therefore complete the nitrogen cycle. This results in a balanced and stable system which need much less maintenance.

aileena

I agree with the skimmer and LR for a good saltwater tank...Get a like 1.25lbs of LR per gallon and a hangon back skimmer. Although the remora works well its a bubble nightmare...I would go with the bak pak or a prizm or prizm pro....I am currently running a prizm on my 60g and so far so good I took of the remora due to the bubbles...
DONT use a deep sand bed....a lot of people like them, but in my experience they are not so great. aragonite works better ...

jp0379

You could always get a small filter if it makes you feel more comfortable. There are quite a few people who don't run skimmers, but at least a small skimmer would be a very good idea. Like someone else said, what works for one person doesn't always work for another. We also went with damsels as most do. We had a zebra, a neon, a yellow, and a domino. No problems with 'em, and they are nice looking fish to check out while your tank is getting ready for others. We also didnt' take them out when the tank was ready, and they have caused absolutely no problems. Good luck!

scott v

Thanks again for the opinions everyone, looks like a great thread I got started.
I just hope this doesnt turn into a debate thread. :)
But posting your points helps be on the other end...
bah, keep on debating, it gives me more info to base my purchase on...but I think I will end up skipping a filter for now and getting a skimmer, LR, LS (maybe 3" deep?) and at least 1 power head. This is a big flat tank and not sure one would be enough. We'll see.
Thanks again.