Filter or Skimmer for new tank?

FWIW - my tank's doing fine now going on two months post-crash. 29 gal, 40 lbs LS, 25 lbs LR (with another 25 on order). Running a powerfilter for mechanical filtration, a skimmer for removing organic dissolved waste, and a powerhead for enhanced circulation. Perhaps some of these items are redundant, but i'm happy with the tank, and both my mandarin and my maroon clown seem very happy inside. Thanks for the earlier recommendations for snails - i have a half dozen and they've done a great job on the rock and glass. Waiting for the LFS to get me a fighting conch to work the sandbed.

fshhub

aileena, one stupid, STUPID question that i need answered
you say do not use a dsb but use aragonite instead?? what in the devil do you think we make DSBs out of???
carbon?
FWIW aragonite could be cc, or sand in many different grades or coarseness. silica and quartz are 2 other alternatives to aragonite. BUT aragonite is the most preferred of all the choices, and it is preferred to be deep(3 to 6 inches avg.)

scott v

FWIW = ?
I have seen this twice now and I looked in the SWF.com New Hobbyist Glossery, didn't see it there either.

I

iluvfish

Can you turn a wet/dry into a fuge of some kind? I guess I still don't quite understand why wet/drys or bad? Is it because of the bioballs. I saw in another thread that someone suggested taking the balls out and replacing them with LR. Could you put macros and such in this area as well to create a fuge-like system. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about!!:D :confused:
BTW, I have a trickle filter (wet/dry) 2 power heads on opposite ends of the tank for circ and a skimmer (a HOB that isn't used right now) and the one built into the wet/dry. Also have 100lbs LR and 4in DBS.

shine~on

Originally posted by iluvfish
I saw in another thread that someone suggested taking the balls out and replacing them with LR. Could you put macros and such in this area as well to create a fuge-like system.

This sounds interesting is that a good idea??

beaslbob

Originally posted by Shine~ON
This sounds interesting is that a good idea??

Establishing plant life is always a good idea.

scott v

Originally posted by fshhub
For
What
It's
Worth
(ps, it is there now)

LOL ok, I didnt know it was a brb/afk/bbl/lol/ acronym.
Thought it was something related to fish. :)

aileena

when i say aragonite...
crushed coral...or something substantially similiar...
just not sand...I've had nothing but troubles with my sand bed, and plan on taking out and replacing it with c.c. next weekend...its been 4 months and its still brown and awful and produces more harm thatn good...silicates breed aglae....several reasons why I don't like the dsb idea, but not enough time to explain

I

iluvfish

I saw in another thread that someone suggested taking the balls out and replacing them with LR. Could you put macros and such in this area as well to create a fuge-like system.

So do you think this would work to establish plant life - or should I leave the bioballs and add the macros in the main tank?

shine~on

Originally posted by beaslbob
Establishing plant life is always a good idea.

So, replacing bio balls w/ live rock would establish plant life? In the tank or in the sump? :confused:

fshhub

a dsb does NOT breed silicates at all
in aragonite they are not present and not even the proper elements are there
in silica based sand, well still is not present despite prior belief. silica is but silicates are not. 2 different things, like anything else in chemistry, that little suffix means alot and makes a very large difference.
Now you may have a problem with your sand bed, it does happen to some people and ther eis generally a reason. But most are successful with them, I have no idea at hand why or why not you may be. However this does not make them bad, since so many are performing beyond many of our expectations. Good luck in your switch and I hope all goes fine for you in doing so.
I would never intentionally add macros to my main display
live rock, although it may carry some macros, does not establish plant life, and be very careful in adding it to your main tank, the sump or fuge would be a MUCH better option.

roosworld

I am a new salt guy with a brand new today 55 gal tank a sump system .sea clone skimmer and a pond master in the 10 gal tank under the tank in the stand.flow master is the overflow equipment.A heater a power head The water seems to be really moving.A double compact lighting florescent,The store had me put in the crushed coral and then salt then when the hydro meter was in the green add in the live sand on top of the coral.The water is cloudy am I not being patient or is the water pumping to hard or what?It has been 4 hours after I added the live sand.I was told to pick up my fish in the morning and I could add them clowns a pair or two damsils to start. then I could add live rock and or live coral (brain coral) the next day or same day.I have asked twice and get the same answer.Yes no problem. I would enjoy your opinion or any from someone who actually knows
Roo

I

iluvfish

Don't put any fish in your tank yet! If your tank is as new as it sounds - you haven't even cycled yet - thus all of your fish would die.
I'm not familiar with putting sand over CC - I do know that it takes time for LS to settle though, so yes - again be patient.
IMO you could go ahead and add the LR (not corals of any kind) and then you need to wait - buy some test kits, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate - and wait for your tank to cycle. (This usually takes about 3 weeks minimum, I think) But if you use your tests, you will know when this happens.
You might want to ask another LFS or find a book about saltwater tanks before you go any farther. The conscientious Marine Aquarist is a good book to start with.
GOOD LUCK and welcome to the board!!

beaslbob

Originally posted by fshhub
and plants do nothing as far as consuming amonia or nitrate, or for cycling.
[/B]
I respectifully and very strongly disagree with this. Plants do consume consume ammonia and some nitrites. Further they complete the nitrogen cycle by consuming nitrAtes. And keep the tank clear by consuming phosphates as well. And in the osmosis process filter out heavy ions as well.

fshhub

thanks, iluvfish
definitely good advise
what it sounds like is the LFS is going to have you cycle with fish. around here most of us do not advocate this practice. we prefer to use LR or shrimp(deli shrimp) either way it will cycle, but a cycle is very stressful on the fish and should be done fishless(JMO)
as for the cc and ls, well It shoudl be all sand IMO, but that has nothing to do with settling. It takes time for the water to clear, sometimes days or weeks(with LS normall hours to days, dry sand weeks)