filter pad after sand bed??

cymbal67

i have a fuge with basically 3 sections. the first is where the water comes down from tank, goes thru one of those blue filter sponges then goes under that and back up hitting a slanted bevel to catch micro bubbles....then section 2 is the deep sand bed with chaeto and some mangroves....the third is where the return pump is t-ing off to go to chiller and skimmer. my question is....do ya'll keep another blue sponge (or something similar) after it has gone thru the sand bed part of fuge? i have been, but recently added some reef pods and was told i shouldnt have obstructed flow (filter sponge) between fuge part and return. so when i took the 2nd sponge out....i had all this crap in my tank, the return for the skimmer flows into that 3rd section where the return pump is and i guess is stirring up all the crap at the bottom of the 3rd section. i do have a filter pad on the inflow to the return pump, but is still getting thru (and with that thought why cant have a sponge after fuge if they is one the return pump anyway?) so....any of you have a sponge filter after the deep sand bed part of the fuge? if not for anything else, but to slow the flow into that section so the return pump doesnt send a bunch of stirred up crap back to tank.