Filter question

baboon

Currently iam using a filter with a bio-wheel and i'm thinking about switching and i need some advice. My question is, would a Fluval Canister Filter be a better filter and remove amonia as well as the bio-wheels? Also, has anyone heard how good Skilter Filters are? Which should i go with? Thanks.

tjswanson

Canister filters are ok and skilter filters work pretty good from what I've seen at the stoer I work at. The BEST filter is a sump set up with an overflow box or the overflows pre-dilled into the tank. As far as picking whether you want a skilter or canister, you could run both, but it depends on how big of a tank we're talking about here. Either can do the job, but the skilter is nice because it has the built in skimmer, while the canister will move more water.

karajay

I have not heard many good reports from Skilter owners - most who have had them on this board have complained about them.
How big is your tank? What type of substrate? Got LR?
A ample amount of LR and a good sand bed will be able to provide your bio-filtration.
I ran a Magnum canister on a 55g that I used to have. I was pleased with it, but you would need more than one if your tank is over 75g. It will also not provide enough circulation on it's own. You may need to add a few powerheads.

baboon

I have a 26 gallon bow front. Unfortunately i have crushed coral for substrate, wish i would have used sand. I do have LR. I just want to know what type of filter i should go with at this point. Thanks.

rbmount

I use a skilter on my 29 fw tank until I get to the store to get a new filter. Other than that.................................................................forget it.