filter sock and plankton feeding. please help!

moneylaw

I have a couple of questions that I have a hard time finding answers. I would really really really appreciate it if you guys can share your knowledge.
- For those of you who use filter socks, how do you deal with issue that filter sock removing Phytoplankton and zooplankton that you feed to your corals? Is there any filter sock with large enough holes to not remove plankton? Do you just turn off your your return pump from the refugium to DT while feeding to avoid plankton being removed (stuck inside) filter sock? If so, how long did you turn off the pump?
- For those of you who don't use filter socks for the reason I mentioned above, how do you deal with the water splashing into ur refugium (my refugium doesn't have cover so water splash to outside the tank). It also make loud noises when water splash into the refugium (I used durso pipe to get ride of the sound in the overflow, but i am talking about noises in refugium). It also create micro bubble which are return to my DT. (before I use filter sock, there are lots of micro bubbles in my display tank and now there is none).
Sorry for the long questions, but I really need some help. Thank you all in advance.
Ken.

tinmanny

Ken two years ago I had the same problem with noise in the sump and someone told me to put a tee on the end of my drain tub and bring a line up high out of the water it vents the air and much less noise and a lot less bubbles

moneylaw

thanks, tinmanny. I will definitely try that. One more question though, should the tee be completely submerged in the water? I know the vent have to be out of the water, but doe it matter where the Tee is related to the water level? Thanks.