filtering a chinese fish bowl

sleasia

tomarrow I will put in the "gravel" and connect the other end of the return which exits the pot right through the standing drain hole, to the pump which will sit underneath the stand in a glass "sump" which will have ehfisubstrat (eheim bio filter media) or lava rock and a filter sponge. I have to wait another 24 hours because I used silicone aquarium glue on the bulkhead just to be sure it doesn't leak and I have to let it dry and cure before adding water. When I get the gravel in and the sump underneath, I will send along those pics tomarrow...then I just have to cycle it for awhile before adding goldfish. Probably to be safe I will let it run a month or so. It might take that long to cycle. but if not I plan on giving it a bit of extra time. stay tuned....

crox

Originally Posted by sleasia
What are celestial goldfish???I have never heard of them.

They are a kind with big telescopic eyes pointnig up. They are cool.

greggti

yeah they are hillarious. When they try to look straight at you they look crosseyed, and kind of cartoonish.

sleasia

Oh those, they would be perfect!!! I really love all the wierd goldfish... (i retyped wierd 4 times....how can I not know how to spell wierd?)

sleasia

crox...this is wierd...I was showing my kids the photo you posted of the celestial goldfish and one of the twins pointed out that it seems to be the type of fish painted on the inside of the fishbowl...check it out in the above photos...the eyes seem to be painted sticking up on top of their heads...cool

sharkbait9

see sleasia, nothing to it but to do it. It looks awsome so far. Once you get it set up a new thread on how to do it, cause i like the idea and i don't want to have to think about it. I just want to do it, I like the idea of the return and if i'm not wrong a skimmer type pipe. Way to go. Gee and i did not think a person from princton would want to get his hands dirty. :hilarious
Only joking Way to go meat

sleasia

Thanks all you guys for showing me the way...sharkbait9, turningtim, crox, greggti, etc. etc. We'll see how it runs tomarrow...well, I'm really from Michigan, and living in the fake princeton, we have a princeton address but we are really in s. brunswick!!! :hilarious

sleasia

sharkbait9...are you the one who sold me the emperor filter long ago???if so, setting up my hospital tank with that has saved my life...so I owe you one for that too, if it was you.

sharkbait9

honestly I may have, I can't remember. Between giving my opinion and selling my old equipment to people, I can't keep up any more. But I won't take credit for it unless I know for sure I did good or bad. In this case, I wish I could. Any way, have you gone to that ***** on RT1? I stopped up in for some dog treats ( had my dog in the car coming home tonight) and they sell corals!!!!!!!! Got an awesome blue maxima and maze coral for 80.00 buck. I almost s**t my pants when I saw they sold corals and the prices. I know where I’m going for corals for now on. Any advice I may possibly need, I’ll come on the board and shoot the dodo with and get the info I need any way.

sleasia

Sharkbait, I didn't know you were in my area...did you ever check out reef fantasy in staten island...That's where i have gotten almost every fish in my tank over the last year and a half...they are on victory blvd near manor road.... the rt 1 ***** is trying, I got my starry red hermit there...I have fowlr and inverts...haven't tried corals yet, I don't think I have read enough yet...and no good lighting. Also pets plus down south further on rt 1 at the trenton circle is having a sale this weekend ?sat or ?sun from 6-12 pm, they have saltwater fish (though not always the healthiest) and reef stuff, corals anenomes urchins etc. I don't know if you have ever been there. N. on rt 1...animals n things...has gone down the tubes. their fish always have ich. I like reef fantasy the best, in staten island, they also have alot of reef stuff there.

sharkbait9

Yeah RT 1 is like 30 minutes from me, i timed it comming home with my new corals
I used to buy some corals from animals and things, but yeah as of recent they have gone down the crapper big time. corals have bubble algae and other none sense
. Never been to the Staten island fish shop. I will tend to go (out of my way or not) for a good piece of coral/fish at a good price. I will make a recommendation to you, See if Johnny 1971 is still selling red shrooms ,https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/212193/red-rust-mushrooms ,I just got mine and oh man what a set of gorgeous red shrooms. I mean these are just awesome and shrooms are easy to care for, no skill in coral keeping needed and a good way to get your feet wet> no pun intended :hilarious . 25 bucks plus shipping for 10 really awesome beautiful red shrooms well worth the money.

sleasia

Well the fishbowl works :jumping: no leaking, and very little surface agitation for a nice clear view....but two problems I need to think about...1. what if the pump goes out, or the electricity stops...will there be a back flow/back siphon problem...do these little pumps have "automatic shut off?". I guess I will have to test this out, otherwise one day I could end up with a decent flood on my wood floor. Then the other problem 2. because I am stubbornly trying to use the fancy stand....Once the sump is set up it will be virtually impossible to access it without emptying the fishbowl and moving it because the stand must be placed down over the sump, and there is only 1/2 inch clearance, between the sump and the stand

sharkbait9

You should see if you can make a threaded union inline of the sump and tank. So if needed you can turn the pump off and unscrew the union and lift the bowl off the stand without having to remove any plumping/sump? :thinking: otherwise looking good, real good meat.