Filters and skimmers

gkotlin

I have a 10 gal tank that I'm cycling for saltwater. I have LR and LS. The cycling is in the early stages. I assume this as when I test, I'm starting to see an increase in Amonia. I assume Nitrates is next and then to the Nitrite if I'm reading correctly. I have a filter that cycles water through foam, carbon and biological media. Is this correct for saltwater systems? I know this is what we used in the freshwater tanks.

gkotlin

I've now read that I have my nitrites and nitrates in the wrong order..... Should I remove the biological media from the filter while doing the cycling process? Some reading seems to state the the biological media may upset the natural balance of the LR and LS?

T

tizzo

Well, your on the right track so far but you will need to answer a few questions. How many gallons is the tank? How many pounds of LR do you have in there? And How much LS?
As far as your filtration, remove the carbon because right now it's pointless. Heck, the whole filter is pointless actually. While your tank is cycling with LR you need no other means of filtration until the cycle is complete (and with an adaquate amount of LR, you will need nothing other than a protein skimmer then).
To answer your question, biological media doesn't upset your balance except when it is removed. Meaning if your tank is a year old and you decide to remove your BM, then you will get an ammonia spike because you removed all of that surface are containing your beneficial bacteria.
It's late, and I think I am rambling so I hope this helped...

mrmaroon

Just keep in mind that a 10g nano is going to be somewhat more difficult to keep that a much larger tank. If it is your fisr tank, you may want to think of something larger with a better filter.

gkotlin

I have 10 gal. as stated above. I'm realistic in my expections I think. I only plan to have one and maybe two small fish to start. Then I may go to a bigger tank when I'm sure I'll stick with the hobby and can provide suitable environment for the fishies.
I intended to replace the filter media at it's specified intervals. Did I read right? I don't need carbon or biological in the tank? Is that ever or just while cycling? Should I remove the filter media while I cycle? Will this help my cycling process speed up?
I realize this is a tiny tank. But I'm very diligent in my maintenance and have far to much free time to monitor and take care of things.
I have 10 lbs. of crushed coral sand and I believe I got about 10 to 15 lbs of live rock.
I was also told to add this powdered "Spectra Vital" to feed my "live rock." This is to feed the organic matter living on the rocks. They also gave me the Kent Marine Reef starter kit. It has Iodine, Strontium & Molybdenum and liquid calcium. Do I need to do something with this as well? I don't have a reef tank. Just live rock and sand.
Do I use these items during the cycling process? Or just the Spectra Vital.
I also have a calcium test kit. How do I know based on the test results whether I need to add more of these feeding items or less?

gkotlin

Sorry if the question was a bother. I should get a book and not use the forum? Sorry, I thought this was an acceptable place to ask questions. I hope I didn't take wrong. I've been doing a lot of reading to learn. I just couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

mrmaroon

I did not intend to be mean. I just think a very thorough book would be your best bet if you are just getting started. By all means, ask as many questions as you have. Crushed coral though is not favored by many on this site. It tends to turn into a nitrate factor. You do probably want to run the carbon and biologic once the cycle is over. Are you using a Whisper wet/dry? Have you considered get a hang-on-the-back skimmer? They are generally much better. I understand that you are trying to minimize cost, but 10 gallons are more difficult to keep. Keep in mind that you only be able to have 1-2 fish in a tank that size. Especially if you want corals.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by MrMaroon
Forget the crushed coral. Go with live sand. And go buy yourself a book.
not exactly the attitude you'll normally find around here

You are on the right track... especially by being patient and cycling the tank. A good book to invest in right now would be Fenner's "A conscientious Marine Aquarist". It will explain things like crushed coral vs. sand, live rock, the difficulties of a nano tank, some appropriate livestock, etc.
Yes.. the order goes Ammonia>Nitrite>nitrate>...
Welcome to the boards and good luck with the tank! I'm betting you'll be investing in a larger one soon

As for filtration.. find you a good little protein skimmer. They do amazing things.... once you use one you will never run a tank without it. Also, be sure you have good water movement throughout the tank. (check on the nano boards for more detailed info... I am not skilled or patient enough for a 10gallon tank)

gkotlin

I thought I may have been confused. I've done lots of reading. Though I know I'm still learning because I'm much smarter at the end of each day

I was originally told that the crushed coral was best for Saltwater tanks. Maybe I'll remove some during my cleanings and replace it with some sand as it becomes depleted?
What about the rock? I'm still lost on this one. Do I have to do the calcium tests and add the reef supplements when I just have rock with "stuff" growing on it? I don't have corals or anything neat like that.