Filters for refuguim

awilson500

I have a new 90gal with built in overflow. And I'm starting my first refugium with this tank. My question is do I need mechanical filters with a fuge??? I can't find anywhere, where there are people talking about this. I see alot of pictures where people have these cannister deals hooked up to the fuge.....not a skimmer but a canister that looks like a filter.... Can anyone help me. I don't want to spend a ton of money buying 2 or 3 different things. I want to get it right the first time, this time!

silverz28

Im a newbie as well but from what Ive seen or read the skimmer and the pump do the work with no other filter needed I could be wrong. Just trying to help.

pumper

On the side of my sump where the water flows in i use a layer of filter pad then a layer or carbon, then on top a piece of egg crate (the type people put on their beds). All that goes in a filter media basket custom made for removal and cleaning. I made it out of acrylic/ sealed together with ips weld on #3. I use carbon because it keeps the smell down to a minimum. Also in the bottom of the input side of my fuge their is 4 inches of lava rock for bacteria and pods to grow.

mr_x

there is a thread about the dangers of using lava rock in salt tanks. you might want to check it out.
about the refugium- large particles will be pulled down the overflow and enter the sump. some people use a piece of sponge or filter sock to catch these, some don't. you can always vacuum the first chamber of the sump if you wish. unless of course, the overflows drain directly into the refugium. then i would suggest something easy to clean, to catch the larger waste particles before it hits the fuge. a filter sock will work fine for this purpose. i would also suggest cleaning out this membrane weekly, or even twice a week.
i use a filter sock directly after my overflows. i change it out about every three days for a clean one. if i wait much longer, it will clog. i toss them in the washing machine without soap (inside out) and they are ready to use immediately after.
i don't use carbon and my tank doesn't smell. maybe you are feeding too much?

pumper

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2758164
there is a thread about the dangers of using lava rock in salt tanks. you might want to check it out.
about the refugium- large particles will be pulled down the overflow and enter the sump. some people use a piece of sponge or filter sock to catch these, some don't. you can always vacuum the first chamber of the sump if you wish. unless of course, the overflows drain directly into the refugium. then i would suggest something easy to clean, to catch the larger waste particles before it hits the fuge. a filter sock will work fine for this purpose. i would also suggest cleaning out this membrane weekly, or even twice a week.
i use a filter sock directly after my overflows. i change it out about every three days for a clean one. if i wait much longer, it will clog. i toss them in the washing machine without soap (inside out) and they are ready to use immediately after.
i don't use carbon and my tank doesn't smell. maybe you are feeding too much?
No, my fish only get food if they take it from my hand....