Filters

anita

Ok, how do I decide on a filter? Some have recommended a sump system & other a wet/dry filter system. Can someone explain the pros/cons of each one? A poster showed me a website where I can get live fiji rock for $1.99/lb, so I can get 90lbs of it for my 50-60g tank, so from my understanding that itself should create a good filtration, right? Oh yes, and probably about 75 lbs of live sand, for a 3 inch sand bed.
Anita

kdfrosty

LR and a DSB are good filtration. You may want to add a little more sand through. I've read numerous times that you either want a DSB (4" or deeper) or a SSB (1" or less). Might research that a little bit, though.
If you go with extra filtration, I would recommend a refugium over a wet dry.

anita

refugium? as in a sump system? well, I eventually wanted to have a reef setup...so I was thinking flame angel, percula clowns, a bunch of serpent stars (I like them!), gobies, wrasse, corals, anemones (later one) etc. I was told that sump is better for that.
Anita

kdfrosty

A sump pretty much gives you more total water volume and a place to hide some equipment.
A refugium will give you a compartment to house macroalgae and other beneficial stuff.

alextrif

I have a 75g reef that is doing very well. It has a very thin substrate (sand) and about 115lbs of LR.
I am going "natural" other than a AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer. No filtration other than the LR. I have about a dozen snails, emerald crabs and a fighting conch to keep things clean.
I change about 8 gallons of salt water monthly (RO) and topoff about a gallon a week with RO.
I've had the tank running about a year and the only time I have run carbon was this week as my house (inside) was being painted - the fumes concerned me a bit - but no issues.
The Corals in the tank are Torch, Colt, Pulsing Xenia, Finger Leather, Zoo's, Open and Closed Brains, Mushrooms and others. The fish are a Tomoto Clown and a Purple Tang.