Filters

brianp

Hey guys I just got off the phone with a guy at my Pet store and I was asking about changing my filter location. I have a HOT Magnum canister filter and it hangs on the tank. I want to move it to under the tank or build a sump for my tank and put the skimmer and all underneth my tank so that I can have more room inside. He told me that I did not need to have either of the two. What are your opinions on the subject? If you have any suggestions on how to change my filter system without spencing a lot of money let me know. I will probably still build a sump just so that I can put my skimmer below. I have a 200 Gal capaciity skimmer on it and 35-40 lbs of live rock in my system. Please tell if I need more to not have the filter or not.

logan15

i would just get a 10 gallon make it into a sump place your filter on it hook a hose up to the in from the filter run water from the tank from that and into the sump and then the skimmer will skim your water then just get a equal gph pump to pump back to the tank.Thats how mine works except I have a magnum 200
Hope this helps,
Logan

marinemarty

I would just run a 20 gallon long as a sump/refuge from an oveflow box; get rid of the canister filter after you install a DSB with the LR and good return pump you should be OK HTH
Martin