Filtration Advice needed.

snakeblitz33

I'm sorry, I don't have a list of references that I have found my information at. I believe I might have found it on the big forums - a study done by one of those very important people over there in the reefkeeping magazine part of the website. I can't find the link, unfortunately.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391571/filtration-advice-needed/20#post_3473763
I'm sorry, I don't have a list of references that I have found my information at. I believe I might have found it on the big forums - a study done by one of those very important people over there in the reefkeeping magazine part of the website. I can't find the link, unfortunately.
that ok if you find it later send me link I want to read it. My refug wont happen till next year.

acrylic51

My information comes from a very old source well before the ReefKeeping section over on RC........The info is out there if you care to google it.......And again to reiterate the point on DSB offering an advantage.......There isn't any.....Point case being if they were so vitally important, how can a tank be run BB with no DSB anywhere and thrive........
Proof is in the pudding!!!!!!

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391571/filtration-advice-needed/20#post_3473784
My information comes from a very old source well before the ReefKeeping section over on RC........The info is out there if you care to google it.......And again to reiterate the point on DSB offering an advantage.......There isn't any.....Point case being if they were so vitally important, how can a tank be run BB with no DSB anywhere and thrive........
Proof is in the pudding!!!!!!
Im not denying that BB tanks can thrive. Im say that DSB can add to the filtration, and I always want more filtration then less. Also how can you say there is no advantage to a DSB, If you have an heavy bio load you need all the filtration you can get. A BB adds no additional filtration, unless you are saying that DBS adds to the bio load instead of helping it?

spanko

To me Limpid your initial statement was that 4" sandbed is best when he said he wanted a 2" sandbed. I think the disagreement here is there is no best and really depends on the aquarist and what heshe wants to accomplish with their tanks. I think it is a disservice to others to promote something as "best" in this instance as their are many ways to be successful with varying depths of sand or even with no sand.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///t/391571/filtration-advice-needed/20#post_3473908
To me Limpid your initial statement was that 4" sandbed is best when he said he wanted a 2" sandbed. I think the disagreement here is there is no best and really depends on the aquarist and what heshe wants to accomplish with their tanks. I think it is a disservice to others to promote something as "best" in this instance as their are many ways to be successful with varying depths of sand or even with no sand.
You all are correct. I have done some research and this what my limited findings are; Robert Metelsky author of Simlified Reef Keeping say to have 1-3/4" to 2" sand bed (did not read this yet, since I was looking for DBS); Dr. Dean Jaubert wants a 4" to 6" DSB with a plenum and protein skimmer; Ron Shimek Ph. D. also recommending a DBS of 4", made up of "mud" (fine or very fine sands with smidgen of silt. Both DBS requires fauna living in sand, very important. My conclusion is that a DBS that properly installed and maintained will be a natural filtration media plus added food required by many inhabitants in our tanks.

Personally I use the 1 lb per gallon method with live sand. I use to to use crushed coral 10 years ago but found that live sand beds are way better for your tank and will reduce hurting your fish. The only thing I don't like is the cloudiness of the tank when i need to move things around or clean. Anyone solve this issue or know of a way to reduce the cloudiness. Again a 2'' sand bed would be just fine but you need to also consider the fish and other animals that would live in it. check to see what your pets will require as well, 2'' is pretty good though if you are measuring 2'' from your shallowest point of your sand bed.

acrylic51

Im not denying that BB tanks can thrive. Im say that DSB can add to the filtration, and I always want more filtration then less. Also how can you say there is no advantage to a DSB, If you have an heavy bio load you need all the filtration you can get. A BB adds no additional filtration, unless you are saying that DBS adds to the bio load instead of helping it?
Your key word...."can add to filtration", but my point is you can't prove it does vs a SSB or a BB. Without a DSB properly constructed by methods you've mentioned or maintained they provide no extra benefit and over time not properly maintained will become a problem. That is fact!!
A heavy bio load and DSB have no bearing or relation to each other. I guarantee with a good skimmer, flow and good maintenance routine a DSB wouldn't be needed!!!!!

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391571/filtration-advice-needed/20#post_3473939
Your key word...."can add to filtration", but my point is you can't prove it does vs a SSB or a BB. Without a DSB properly constructed by methods you've mentioned or maintained they provide no extra benefit and over time not properly maintained will become a problem. That is fact!!
A heavy bio load and DSB have no bearing or relation to each other. I guarantee with a good skimmer, flow and good maintenance routine a DSB wouldn't be needed!!!!!
I agree with ever thing you said. Say you have the best skimmer (I don't) and flow and good maintenance, but you need more filtration. A DBS would put you at eleven, or you could just decrease your bio load, na.

acrylic51

I just don't get where your thinking that the DSB is going to compensate for over stocking a system.....there's no proof in it.....if that were the case why is it so many other methods have come forward that produces much faster;proven results as far as excess nutrients. Anyone can dump tons of sand in a bucket; but unless a DSB is constructed correctly with a proven method, gains are small and if not maintained not long term as some would believe.
Awhile back the sand in a bucket was a popular deal. Basically to the way side with the advent of other devices proven to increase, let's say the need for huge expensive skimmers and so on. The DSB "theory" I an old, long debated topic, which again has been proven its not needed or gives you any advantage over other options. It's more aesthetic in the end IMHO.

snakeblitz33

All I know is that unmaintained sand beds become septic and start to produce more nutrients than they can break down. In the end, everything needs maintenance.

reefkprz

How does a sandbed "produce" nutrients?
well an improperly maintained sand bed starts to build up detritus and incompletely broken down waste materials untill it hits sort of a "critical mass" and takes a turn for the worse. septic sand beds can easily destroy a tank at worst and become serious nuiscances at best by providing a sudden influx of nutrients from the septic rot.
they dont actually provide nutrients that havent been added yet but they store them and go "critical" if you will. OTS or OSBS (old tank syndrome or old sand bed syndrome) is quite real.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///t/391571/filtration-advice-needed/20#post_3474286
How does a sandbed "produce" nutrients?
Not produce, built up and release... as reefkprZ stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///t/391571/filtration-advice-needed/20#post_3474294
well an improperly maintained sand bed starts to build up detritus and incompletely broken down waste materials untill it hits sort of a "critical mass" and takes a turn for the worse. septic sand beds can easily destroy a tank at worst and become serious nuiscances at best by providing a sudden influx of nutrients from the septic rot.
they dont actually provide nutrients that havent been added yet but they store them and go "critical" if you will. OTS or OSBS (old tank syndrome or old sand bed syndrome) is quite real.
Thank you reefkprZ. I appreciate it!