Filtration for 150g

z-r0

What kind of filtration and protein skimmer would you suggest for a 150g? im assuming you need some kind of sump. im new to this. any help would be great, thx.

mbrands

My suggestion, and I'm by no means an expert, would be a lot of LR and a HOB filter. As for the protein skimmer, most posting seem to recommend aqua c remora (sp?) and/or bakpak.
Good luck!
Mike

robchuck

One pound of live rock per gallon would provide an ideal amount of biological filtration for a 150, and having a sump in the system would help greatly. Having a sump would leave you open to the greatest amount of choice of skimmers and provide space for heaters and any chemical filtration you might use.
The Remora and Bak Pak skimmers suggested in the previous post are both great skimmers, but would be very undersized on a 150g. If you don't mind fiddling around with a skimmer until it's tuned right, my suggestion would be a Beckett-injected skimmer (Precision Marine Bullet, Aerofoamer, My Reef Creations, Barr Aquatic) or an AquaC EV series skimmer (spray induction). Once these skimmers are tuned in, they produce nastier skimmate than needle-wheel skimmers in my opinion (Euro Reef, ASM). Though the Euro Reef and ASM skimmers aren't bad choices if you want a "set and forget" skimmer.

lion_crazz

As mentioned, I would go with a sump or wet/dry, 150-170 lbs. of live rock, 3 or 4 powerheads, and a good protein skimmer such as a EuroReef or ETSS.

pwnag3!!

Originally posted by mbrands
My suggestion, and I'm by no means an expert, would be a lot of LR and a HOB filter. As for the protein skimmer, most posting seem to recommend aqua c remora (sp?) and/or bakpak.
Good luck!
Mike

please never post again
HOB filter are just a waste of time in the saltwater hobby.
LR, LS, Protein skimmer (dont buy a cheap one) and if you can put a refugium on there for nutrient export.