Filtration for a Bamboo

cubuffs

I did not want to hijack a previous thread, but Gasguzzler stated that you need a wet/dry filtration system for sharks. I was wondering if you could use a canister filter instead for these animals? It seems confusing to me, so I just wanted to know why this is. Thanks!

tvan

You can use any type of filtration as long as it can handle the bio load. Water quality not filter type.
hth
Tom

flatzboy

I am not sure of to many people who have had a positive experience with canister filters. They definately aren't as good as a wet/dry and its a pain to replace the media and fairly exspensive. Also they leak a lot.

chrisd1

I like using a cannister in addition to live rock and a protein skimmer. It's good for running carbon especially. I merely clean mine out every 2 weeks when I do a water change and I've never had nitrate problems.
But there's no way I'd use only a cannister by itself. I just think of it as extra filtration, with my main source being live rock and skimming.

ac

Hey cubuffs, I was born in Boulder. I live east of their in Thornton now. Anyway I would recommend wet/dry for the bioload capabilities and also the maintenance. You just don't have to screw with them as much as a canister. I have CPR's on both of my shark/stingray tanks and they work quite well. HTH

cubuffs

Thanks for all of the replies. AC, I am in thornton all of the time playing golf at Thorn Creek. Anyways... I do have a eheim 2260 canister filter, a Nautilus protein skimmer, and about 50 lbs of lr in my tank that houses two baby bamboos. I was just curious as to why everyone recommends a sump and wet/dry system, but now I know. Thanks again, and I appreciate your continuance of help for myself as well as the others on this precious message board.

cincyreefer

Yeah, I agree. A canister can work fine, but in the long run you will be much happier you got a wet dry. Canisters can be nice just to use for extra water movement and to run carbon though.

gasguzzler

The only reason I recommend wet/dry's over canisters is due to the high dissolved o2 you get inherantly with a wet/dry system, not to mention the possible flow rate to the animals. I run both on my 125 just so I can have some carbon.

cubuffs

Thanks for all of the replies. I do have one question though: Can I switch to a wet dry system easily? I don't have holes drilled, so I would imagine that I would have to wait until I purchase a new tank. Well, I guess that this is just more motivation to get a much larger tank to house my sharks. Thanks again!
Also, AC, the sharks are beautiful. I've been looking for an epaulette for many months in the denver area, but I could never find someone to order me one. In addition, I don't have any pics of the sharks, but hopefully I will soon.
Yours,
Cubuffs

moraym

Switching to a wet-dry is easy, you don't have to have a drilled tank. You can buy a standard overflow at any LFS, it siphons water from the tank and down to the wet-dry, with a pump return. It's easy to set up, so long as you don't mind the overflow box sitting in the water.