Filtration Help

lanee

I recently purchased a 120 gallon aquarium, and just had some questions on filtration. I have 2 SeaClone Protein skimmers...2 H.O.T. Magnum canister filters with bio wheels and about 50 lbs. of Live Rock. I have been told by several people that this filtration would be enough...but am now being told otherwise. I guess I'm just wanting a "second opinion" on this. I really don't want to do the Wet/Dry filtration and am just trying to find other options. Is there anything more I should add to my filtration? And if so, what? Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks In advance.

the rock

the rock says....
add more live rock and live sand. what kind of tank are you planning on keeping? i don't understand why people buy canister filters, can anyone give me some insight why? make sure you have some powerheads moving the water in your tank. thats overkill on the skimmers if you are planning on setting up a tank for corals. but if you are going FO you should be fine with what you have. live rock and live sand can provide enough filtration that the other filters you have won't be needed but can only help

lanee

Originally posted by the rock:
the rock says....
add more live rock and live sand. what kind of tank are you planning on keeping? i don't understand why people buy canister filters, can anyone give me some insight why? make sure you have some powerheads moving the water in your tank. thats overkill on the skimmers if you are planning on setting up a tank for corals. but if you are going FO you should be fine with what you have. live rock and live sand can provide enough filtration that the other filters you have won't be needed but can only help

The reason I have 2 skimmers is because I purchased one, which was falsely advertised as being for tanks up to 150 gallons...which in actuality is only for up to 60...so I got 2 to make up for it. I plan on keeping mainly a fish only tank...with possible a couple of corals. Is this ok?

kris

I think what you've got will do fine. Wait on the corals though 'till you're sure your system will keep up with the fish as they are much more sensitive.
Insight for rock on canisters: after researching all the options, and understanding the need for the 3 different types of filtration, I found the canister to be one type thtat would fit my needs and my budget. You can pack them any way you like to change it's function (like bio-media or chem. media) they are low profile and easy to maintain (at least the new fluvals are). Coupled with a good skimmer and maybe some live rock it's a great set-up and obviously much cheaper than the wet-dry. (at least it's worked well for me, in my f/o)

veskas

Kris......I agree on the canisters. I have a Fluval 304 on my 55 gal Reef & (2) 404's on my 180 gal FO. Easy to clean & change media when needed.....I can add bio, phosphate filters, extra carbon, ammo remover, etc. in nice small pouches....no mess!!

michaelb

I question the Seaclone skimmers. I don't know how other people feel about them, but i did not like them at all. It just never seemed to work well and was real hard to control. I switched to a Tunze skimmer. Hope all works out for you.
MichaelB