Filtration Question

I run a Fluval 305 canister filter on my FOWLR tank, I was curious if the length of the intake strainer/tube for the fluval makes a difference. Should it be longer and grabbing water from deeper in the tank or shorter and grabbing water for the middle of the tank, or even shorter and grabbing water from the top? Please advise me I've been told it doesn't make a difference but some fellow FOWLR'ers have told me that deeper is better.

keith burn

Imo a canister filter in not a good one for s/w at all...
What outher filter/ph are you runing?
What size tank is it?
It doesn't make a difference if you have good flow.
If it is the only filter you are runing intank as low as you can and the flow in on the top and have it brake the top of the water.

sly

I would put it opposite of your outlet from your pump. If your water enters the tank near the top then I would put the return line deep in the tank toward the bottom. If the outlet is on the left, then I would put the return on the right... This will help circulate the water better as it draws it from not only side to side, but from top to bottom as well.
Just be sure you regularly clean your canister filter. They work fine but the get dirty quickly. Dirt greatly reduces the filtration capacity of your system and so canister filters can be a little high maintenance.

Originally Posted by keith burn
http:///forum/post/2661685
Imo a canister filter in not a good one for s/w at all...
What outher filter/ph are you runing?
What size tank is it?
It doesn't make a difference if you have good flow.
If it is the only filter you are runing intank as low as you can and the flow in on the top and have it brake the top of the water.
Thanks keith, I'm also running an Aquaclear 500, a Prizm Protein Skimmer w/ surface cup, and 1 Hydro PH (600gph), my tank is a 46 ga. bow front.

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2661861
Just be sure you regularly clean your canister filter. They work fine but the get dirty quickly. Dirt greatly reduces the filtration capacity of your system and so canister filters can be a little high maintenance.
Thanks Sly, I am asking because I currently have the Fluval's tube low about 3inches from the bottom and behind the LR. The return is in the middle about 6inches from the top of tank. I am getting a white/milky residue inside the canister. Do you think it could be sand? The Fluvals flow seems fine, I clean it out every other month but am afraid it could be getting damaged by this substance.

srfisher17

I think, if properly maintained, canister filters can work extremely well. They just don't remove nitrates; but they polish water, remove detritus, and provide a method of using different carbons, resins, etc.
IMO, the whole idea of where to pull the water from depends on other water circulating stuff you may be using. Pumps, hob filters, skimmers, Phs, etc. Use the canister as part of a master plan to keep water flowing to all parts of the tank and avoiding dead spots.

Thanks srfisher17, I appreciate it. How can I remove nitrates then I am also using a Aquaclear 500 filter, and have over 70lbs. LR/45lbs. LS.

keith burn

Originally Posted by frog/lionman
http:///forum/post/2662337
Thanks srfisher17, I appreciate it. How can I remove nitrates then I am also using a Aquaclear 500 filter, and have over 70lbs. LR/45lbs. LS.
What about a fuge???
It will help remove nitrates...

srfisher17

If your profile is current and you have a 46 gal FOWLR tank with 75 lbs of LR; nitrates shouldn't be a problem. Just throwing out a number, but if your nitrates are under 40ppm your fish won't be hurt a bit. Not so with coral/inverts. The LR and water changes should keep them managable with no problem. A fuge, mentioned above is a great help; but (IMO) not really worth the work when only fish are involved. Also, keep your filter media clean, it can be a real nitrate producer if you don't. Canister filters can be used as biological filters; but I'd let your LR & LS do that work. How high are your nitrates? The answer could change everything I've said.

They usually stay around 40ppm (had 34lbs. LR). However, I added 40lbs. LR exactly 1 month ago, and I think they are causing a spike in my nitrates, because for the last 2 weekly tests my nitrates have been around 80ppm. The ammo and nitrites are 0ppm, PH has been around 8.0/8.2.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by frog/lionman
http:///forum/post/2662534
They usually stay around 40ppm (had 34lbs. LR). However, I added 40lbs. LR exactly 1 month ago, and I think they are causing a spike in my nitrates, because for the last 2 weekly tests my nitrates have been around 80ppm. The ammo and nitrites are 0ppm, PH has been around 8.0/8.2.
IMO, 40ppm nitrates is not at all harmful to fish. You probably had some die off from adding the new LR and are past any ammonia or nitrite spike.