Filtration question

k9-fish

I have two Emperor 400 biowheels. I have the two active carbon filters in each and I have carbon in the media basket. I have heard some people say that they do not run carbon all the time. Why is that and am I hurting my fish or water quality by leaving these filters in? I change all the carbon every two-to-three weeks. Can someone give me some pros and cons of each or any suggestion would be nice. I have a 55 gallon, live rock, lion, dogface puffer, panther grouper, crushed coral. I also run a protien skimmer.

k9-fish

I have done research, and it told me that they do not grow like puppies. By the time they outgrow my tank, I will get another tank. Now to get back on topic, can someone help me with the filtration question.

bullshark

Carbon will not hurt your tank, to be ON-topic. Some use it, some dont. I would guess some say dont use it because it can be a nitrate trap if not cleaned/replaced frequently.
So, not it wont hurt it. BUT what WILL hurt is those fish in that small of a tank..
The panther grouper is all mouth and stomach. If it is small, ok, but they get 18 inches or better. Your 55 is 13 inches from front to back.
The puffer, same thing. They get huge. And both grow faster than you think.
You could be OK for a year or so, but these fish live 15-25 years. This is why some caution certian fish in certian size tanks, not to demean you or your equiptment.
Good Luck, sounds like a sweet tank!
(ps. I LOVE panther groupers!)

k9-fish

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, I just hate to be preached to, ya know? No one even asked how big my guys were. Thank you for your input. I plan on buying a 240 gallon tank that is on clearance at the LFS. They want $1100 for canopy, stand, and tank. I am moving in 3 months and that's when they get the new condo. I have had my lion and puffer for quite some time and I know they grow quick. Both of them are large and I do feel guilty for keeping them in such a small tank. I'll have to get some pictures up of them. Again, thanks for your help and your concern.
Paul

bullshark

K9, now that what Im talking about, a 240! I love BIG tanks!Thats a sweet deal! I would jump on it. I would love to see pics of the panther! You certianly do sound like a responsible aquarist. I wish you the best and Im sure your fish will be happy for a long time to come. Lotsa good people here and we all welcome you!

k9-fish

Again, I didn't mean to be a jerk. And I do understand that alot of people go out and buy fish with no intention of getting larger tanks or smaller fish. I assure you that I do care about my fish and I want them to have room to grow. I will be picking that 240 up soon, I'll go broke buying live rock for that thing!! Sorry if I offended anyone.:)