Filtration... The ongoing debate

OK, ive been running a 55 gal tank now for about 4 months with absolutley no problems. It has a 4" DLSB with about 75lbs of LR. I currently have two damsels and a six line wrasse. The only problem im having now is that the sand is turning brown and the glass on the inside i cant seem to keep clean. Its got brown algae growing on it too, not thick just enough to make the glass cloudy. Is this from overfeeding? Or phosphates in the water? I dont use a R/O unit. Should i invest in one of them or just get a really good clean up crew? The problem never started until about a week or two ago and my water tests are all perfect. It all seemed to start when i started feeding frozen brine shrimp? Im wondering if im just feeding too much or what? I also added power compacts to the tank about the time it started too. I only have three snails in the tank and about 3 or 4 hermits. Im thinking get a really good clean up crew and hope it clears up. My water dont need reverse osmosis, its fairly clear and clean of anything. Someone help me out here...... thanks

bingo

It sounds like diatoms to me. Those usually grow from silicate in your water. They are also part of the long cycle during many tanks for the first 6-12 months. More powerful lights can accelerate the growth at first too. I would buy some RO/DI water from your LFS for a while and see if that helps clear it up through some water changes. I also like having some macro-algae in the system to export some of the nutrients that cause other growths like this.

It sounds to me like u need an RO/DI unit.. If I was u... I would get with a friend that u know and split the cost of the unit.. that way u get it for half.. :)
---Enquiring Minds Want to Know?!?!

predator

It's probably a combo of a couple diffrent things. First let me say that all tranks produce algea!!! The conditions are perfect for it. Warm, wet, plenty to feed off of and plenty of light.
You say you have noRO unit, so I assume you are using tap. If so that cxan and will ccuase alot of algea. Most tap water has high phosphates not to mention about a gagillion other things that could cause problems.
More light will also help the algea. How long do you keep your lights on? Over feeding puts more nutrients in the water and nutrients=food for algea.
Better circulation, less feeding and less light will really help you out in controlling the algea. RO water will as well but have often heard that when switching over it to cause algea blooms. Do not get discouraged. Just keep doing consistant water changes and top offs with RO water and it will nip the problem in the butt.

fshhub

i would do a water test and post teh parameters
be sure to include nitrAtes, silicates adn phosphates
other than taht , predator said it, just those parameters could helpto pinpoint the problem
HTH

madd catt

It may be the brine shrimp people have talked abou this before.There seems to be an increase in phosphates,clean your glass and stop using frozin brine and if that is the problem stop using for awhile{try using it once a week}.Jungle labs makes a product called preserved brine shrimp i dont know if it will stop alge from growing it may not contain phosphates and also it could be diatoms.