filtration?

jared_p

OK, well right now I'm using an aqua clear 200 and until a sump is used I'm choosing between one the aqua clear 110 witch filters 500gph sounds pretty good for a 55gal tank the water would be very clean i think. There is also the Current USA Internal Wet/Dry filters now they only filter around 190gph but look very good and was thinking of getting two one on each end.
anyone have any preferences when it comes to these two filters?
also does anyone have any live rock rubble like marine depot sells? i was looking at ordering 15lbs but was wanting to know if anyone has any and if its worth the money?

mr_x

live rock rubble is just broken up small pieces of live rock. if you need the extra live rock, then it's worth it.
what is in your tank right now? do you have any live rock yet?

robertmathern

Do you have fish in the tank. If you dont get a sump I have built one for less than a fraction of the cost of any of the filters you were talking about. And imo the sump is much better.

jared_p

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2812986
live rock rubble is just broken up small pieces of live rock. if you need the extra live rock, then it's worth it.
what is in your tank right now? do you have any live rock yet?
all that is in the tank right now is live sand and 55 gallons of water at 1.0023 SG. That's it and I'm on a very very tight budget suddenly and buying 40lbs or live rock is just not going to happen so i was wondering how 15-20lbs of rubble would be iv read that you will usually get a few baseball size peaces and it isn't to bad. then i was wanting to buy some dry Fiji rock and just hope that it seeds. What would you do in my situation? cause marine depot only charges 15lbs of live rubble for $35 including 2nd day shipping.,
Originally Posted by robertmathern

http:///forum/post/2813102
Do you have fish in the tank. If you dont get a sump I have built one for less than a fraction of the cost of any of the filters you were talking about. And imo the sump is much better.

I do realize that a sump isn't very expensive and about 98% of this forum will live by using sumps but i just haven't come to terms of a sump yet. My main question was weather or not it would be better to have one 500gph filter or two 190gph filters?

robertmathern

+1 on the most live rock as possible. I would look into base rock but still get as much live as you can to seed it with. You want all the stuff that comes with the live rock not just the rock itself. The base rock will become live but it will take a while to get there. And on thhe filters I would go with the 500 gph. The bigger the better. The more flow the better.

kimura

I have an aquaclear 110 im using right now, great filter, the trade off is the back of tank space. If your gonna use anything else HOB you might want your space back. The other thing is it isn't gonna give you enough flow by itself in a 55 gal.

jared_p

well i have plenty of space for sure. if you mean space between the tank and wall and length i have both to spair and i also have a powerhead that pumps about 300gph so id think that would be good.
and im about to order my first 15lbs of live rock rubble should be intressting.