Fin Rot? Juvi. Emp Angel

lateral72

I have a Juvi. Emperor Angel in QT right now (not treating for anything, just observing). Anyhow, it is developing what I believe is Fin Rot. The pectoral fins are ragged and are cloudy. The right side fin is almost completely white, while the left side is starting to turn white. There are no symptoms I can detect on the dorsal fin. The caudal fin is becoming cloudy, but is not ragged.
How should I go about treating the fish? It is in a 20 gallon bare-bottom tank. There is a couple palm sized pieces of LR and a clump of cheato in the tank. The tank also has fairly dim lighting, and a bio-wheel filter with a poly pad. Not running carbon.
Where do I proceed from here?
Thanks for any help.

sepulatian

A picture would certainly help. How long have you had the fish? How did he look when you got him? What are your water parameters? Is he eating?

lateral72

Unfortanutely my camera isn't the best. But here is a picture. (End of this post)
I've had the fish since the 9th, but the fish was at the LFS since 11/24. He looked fine when purchased. He had a couple nips on the fins which we attributed to the Bicolor Parrot he was housed with.
Temp: 75-78F
Ammonia: 0
'Trites: 0
'Trates: 20ppm
pH: 7.8
Fish is eating, although only Live Brine and Formula 1 pellets, so far.
The fin has gotten worse overnight. It has developed "cotton"-like sores on the edges of the fins.

ccampbell57

first off -
Your PH is low...add some Superbuffer and get it to 8.2-8.3.
Also, your Nitrates are high. They need to be around 0-10 ppm max.
Also, raise your temperature to 78-80.
Brine is useless for Saltwater fish. Feed him MYSIS shrimp or frozen krill.

lateral72

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
first off -
The nitrates were tested just before a large water change.
Temps average 77, only for a couple hours was it ever 75/76.
I've been enriching the brine. It is the only thing, along with pellets, he will eat.

sepulatian

It is not fin rot. Those look like bites to me. The white "cottony" things are the beginning of lymphocystis. Marycyn will help with any bacterial infection that may have set in after the parrot bit him.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
first off -
I agree with everything except the nitrates. I don't see 20ppm as a problem in fish-only tanks.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by sepulatian
It is not fin rot. Those look like bites to me. The white "cottony" things are the beginning of lymphocystis. Marycyn will help with any bacterial infection that may have set in after the parrot bit him.
Sound like bites to me too; and marycyn would be my 1st choice antibiotic as well When you get this solved, tell the lfs how dumb it is to put a fish like this , in a small tank, with a parrot fish.

lateral72

Just began the Maracyn II treatment. Whether it is Fin Rot or not, I don't believe the Maracyn will hurt.
The Parrot it was housed with was about the size of a baby carrot. The parrot's caudal fin was down pass into the flesh and raw. I figure the two fish were going after each other. It was rather hard to see the fins as the Emperor was afraid of human faces. It's gotten MUCH better with human interaction, though.
pH is at 8.2 ... I think it was just a fluke test the first time on my part..

Thanks for the help so far..

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Lateral72
Just began the Maracyn II treatment. Whether it is Fin Rot or not, I don't believe the Maracyn will hurt.
The Parrot it was housed with was about the size of a baby carrot. The parrot's caudal fin was down pass into the flesh and raw. I figure the two fish were going after each other. It was rather hard to see the fins as the Emperor was afraid of human faces. It's gotten MUCH better with human interaction, though.
pH is at 8.2 ... I think it was just a fluke test the first time on my part..

Thanks for the help so far..

Good luck! I think I would avoid this lfs in the future.