fin rot on yellow tang?

goldfish

I have had a yellow tang now for about 16 months and have slowly noticed his dorsal fin looking a bit ragged. No one in the tank is beating on him (he's a pretty tough sucker), but the fin has slowly started to look "chewed on." His health is just fine...eats well and his color and attitude are fine. Could it be fin rot? I'm not really versed on it.

goldfish

Yes it has been slowly. I'm feeding seaweed selects and romaine lettuce to him as well as the "meaty foods" the triggers get. He never gets beat on by anyone else in my tank. I have triggers and an eel and it's a fairly calm tank. Maybe it's not fin rot, but everything I've read points that it could possibly be that. I'll just have to keep watching him. Thanks though!

goldfish

water readings are just perfect--took them yesterday. This has been going on for awhile, that's why I thought it might be a slow case of fin rot.

goldfish

Thanks...that makes me feel better. Guess I'll just keep an eye on him. Maybe he is getting his a** kicked at night and I don't know about it. Thanks again for the help.

gobylover

Hey Goldfish,my Bettas fins are the same way.Slowly looking like they are cracking and splitting.This has been going on for about a month now and really isn't getting any worse.As with your tang,his appetite or happieness hasn't changed a bit.Maybe we have the same thing.I just thought maybe me telling you this it might make you feel better to know your not the only one.I know it made me feel good to read your post!!! :D

goldfish

thanks goby...not sure what his problem is. He is acting/eating just fine. Just his fins look a bit ragged.
It does make me feel better to know that I'm not the only one with ragged, jagged fins. :D