Final Answer, How many hours needed for ....

weber518

good Coralline algae growth, I hear 6 hrs, 10 hrs. what do u think, i have the standard lights that come with the normal tank.

myreef05

Will not see much growth with N.O. lights. Calcium is important too. Coraline takes even the best of lights several months to really get it going.

bang guy

The low light level of standard lighting is perfect for dark purple coraline. Leave the lights on 8 - 10 hours.

dapak83

my tanks been up for about 2 yrs and i got standard light i havent had any coraline growth yet!!! i m sure i would need stronger lights for it!

reefkprz

When I first got into this hobby all I had was N.O. flourescents. I couldt keep a coral alive for the life of me but my coraline growth was amazing. I ran 12 hours a day. the only things I had back then were mushrooms Yellow colonial anemone and a finger leather that didnt make it. but werent my rocks purple same for my glass. with good water conditions the coraline growth under NO lights is pretty amazing.

monalisa

I agree with the previous posters. Calcium is very important for the coraline growth. Watch the kind of salt you do changes with...I've had great luck with Oceanic, but there are lots of great salts to choose from.
Now...how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie roll pop??
The world may never know...

Lisa :happyfish

aztec reef

Coraline grows under any standard light, Intensity has nothing to do with it.
Coraline:= Time , good flow, Good cal, Alk & magnesium levels+ days.
How many drags does it take to smoke a cigar?

dapak83

all my levels are good....i just dont leave my lights running for so long becasue i get diatoms....so i leave it on for like 5-6 hrs ado i guess i leave it on longer now!! i want the purple stuff man!!!

weber518

well i do have the purple and i also see like a greenish blue as well, looks really nice and i have been using standard lighting, although i had been mixing the hours up slightly, i have been recently leaving them on between 7-9 hours. I guess it is trial and error, but so far so good. Thanks for the replies.

teen

IME, coraline grows slower under intense lighting and faster in shaded areas/ lower lighting.

dapak83

can anyone give me any reason why i have no growth so that i can fix it!!!
like i said i want the purple or any colored algae other then the brown diatoms i get...
btw sorry for hijaking the thread!

myreef05

Originally Posted by dapak83
can anyone give me any reason why i have no growth so that i can fix it!!!
like i said i want the purple or any colored algae other then the brown diatoms i get...
btw sorry for hijaking the thread!
If you are still getting the brown diatoms it is one of 2 reasons. Not good enough flow and also to young of a tank.

dapak83

tanks been up for alomost about 2 yrs.... and i guess i need more water flow because i calculated yest i only have about 10-12x flow... i m gona get more phs!

myreef05

tanks been up for alomost about 2 yrs.... and i guess i need more water flow because i calculated yest i only have about 10-12x flow... i m gona get more phs!
best way to take care of it.

reefkprz

Coraline likes HIgh flow. I did an expiriment a while back as to what surfaces and flows coraline liked best the lighting was the same (or as close as I could get it) high flow acrylic grew coraline the fastest. high flow glass a close second followed by low flow acrylic and last was low flow glass. so rough surface with high flow. and moderate lihting.

dapak83

word... didnt know... NOW i cant wait to get bigger phs for more flow !!! problem is i already got a mj600 and 900 with a fluval 304 i dono how many more to add!!

reefkprz

word... didnt know... NOW i cant wait to get bigger phs for more flow !!! problem is i already got a mj600 and 900 with a fluval 304 i dono how many more to add!!
I would add one more good one and get a wave maker to shift the current constantly.

dapak83

how much do wave makers go for... my list has a few more imp things fr the tank rit enow like a skimmer... and more LR... i can get a ph cus its not that much but... if a wavemaker is more money i guess itll wait

reefkprz

A power strip wave make is about forty bucks. but its nice because by having powerheads kick on and off your constatly shifting the entire flow of the tank. I consider it a good investmernt because what is a dead spot on one phase of the cycle gets flow on the next. It really reduces detritus build up having shifting flow. even with a high turniver you can get eddies that allow settling. with the flow constantly changing this helps eliminate that.
Just something to keep in mind for the future. I ran my reef for a long time with out the wave maker, but If It broke I would go get another one immediatly.