Finally Epaulette moved to pond

ac

Well I finally did it. I moved my eppie into the pond with the horn shark. Not easy to do, but she seems to be doing alright.

ac

Here's a couple of the horn checking out her new pond mate. They're a little blurry because the horn wouldn't stop and smile for the camera.

ac

I guess I should say the the horn is about 20 inches long and the eppie is about 24 inches long.

ac

Have you ever tried to catch a shark that's in a 2 foot deep tank that's 3 feet off the ground by hand? It ain't easy especially when you're vertically challenged.

ac

Here's a couple of pictures of my baby bamboo and horn. Sorry for the dirty glass

ac

Thanks, I almost brought home another bamboo from the LFS. She was really beat up though. They really don't know what they're doing. She had several leasions on her side. If they didn't want so much $$ for her I would have tried to nurse her back to health.

mike22cha

Awesome man!

What temp do you keep your tanks at? Aren't horns coldwater sharks and bamboo and epaulette warm watered?
Looks great!

ac

Water is at about 75 degrees. Everyone seems to do fine in this temperature. All are active and eat like horses

mike22cha

How big is the baby bamboo and the horn? How long do you think until they go into the pond? Man you are so lucky!
How many gallons is in your pond?

ac

The babies are both about a foot long. Since I have plenty of room for them to get some more size I'm thinking maybe a year before they go to the pond. That's just a guess though. I don't think horns grow very fast. The pond is about 1000 gallons. It's 10 feet long by 5 feet wide and 3 feet deep.

krj-1168

What temp do you keep your tanks at? Aren't horns coldwater sharks and bamboo and epaulette warm watered?
NO - Horn Sharks (Heterodontus francisci) aren't cold water sharks - they are temperature water sharks - which is to say they can withstand water temperatures between 60-80F. Most Studies show that Horns actually prefer water temps above 68F. So the 75F that Rich has his tanks at is nearly perfect for both the eppie, & bamboo as well as the Horns.
Also the larger Horn and eppie should reach maturity in about 1 year or less, at which point the growth rates of each should slow down. The smaller Horn & Bamboo each still have a couple of years to go before they reach maturity.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by krj-1168
NO - Horn Sharks (Heterodontus francisci) aren't cold water sharks - they are temperature water sharks - which is to say they can withstand water temperatures between 60-80F.
PJs r coldwater correct?

krj-1168

PJs r coldwater correct?
Well - they generally considered to prefer slightly cooler water than Horns generally do. While PJs are know to tolerate water temperatures in the mid 70's. They tend to prefer water temps in the range of about 59 to 72F.