finally going larger

fjoanne

I am finally getting my big tank the one I have been dreaming about but I can't decide what size to get. I've got it narrowed down to 2. 125gallon(72x18x22) or 150gallon(48x24x30) this is where I need help. which is a better tank for a FOWLR tank. longer or more overall volume. I plan on getting a large angel and tang maybe a porcupine puffer(not sure on that yet). so what would you recommend?

noah's nemo

I did the upgrade from a 75 to a 125 about a year ago.Get the 6 foot long tank
,you'll be much happier.Like spanko said tangs will be a bit happier too.I just got a koran and could not imagine him in a 4 foot tank.

deejeff442

i would find a 6 foot 150 gallon they shouldnt be much more money.
i would also get a 55 long for a sump.
isnt shopping fun

noah's nemo

Why
,for 4 inches of height.Common non-custom 150's have the same footprint as a 125,but a 180 will give you 6 more inches of width.
If i could have held out longer i would have looked for one.Got my 125 off of CL for a great deal,could not pass it up!

fjoanne

I would love to get 180 gallons but space restrictions limit how large so does money. but maybe I will get the longer 150 (not sure yet ) just want to make sure I will be able to get everything before the money runs out

I think the 55 is a good idea for a sump what kind of skimmer do you think would be good for a 125 or 150 gallon with larger fish?

noah's nemo

A 150 is not longer than a 125(non customs),just 4-5 inches taller.Both are 72"(6 feet long )and 18" wide.Can't help you on a skimmer,i do not use one...

fjoanne

sorry what I meant about the 150 was the 150 gallon that was longer than the one I saw (which was only 48 long) so maybe I will get the 72 long 150 gallon instead of the 125 long
planning on getting in a couple weeks really getting excited now

fjoanne

I ordered my tank today will be here in about a week or two. I decided on a 180 gallon tank(72x24x25) it was almost the same price as a 150 so decided to get the larger one. I also got a 55 gallon sump. I am pretty giddy I am finally getting my big tank after years of wanting a bigger one.
this is so cool.

fjoanne

stand yes but no canopy
It is predrilled and is suppose to come with everything I need (except a pump)
they say 7 to 10 days for delivery I'm hoping I will be able to set it up next weekend
I have been thinking about making this a FO and not using live rock is this harder to do? should I just forget about that and go with my first thought of a FOWLR? I have always used LR as my main filtration (with a skimmer) so I really don't know much about having a tank witout LR.

fjoanne

I know not having live rock would affect the kinds of fish I get but are there a lot of negative side effects to having just a FO tank?

fjoanne

I know it was too much to hope for but my tank still isn't here yet

but I have decided to def. get the live rock just cause I really want a large angel.
how much live rock will I need for a 180 gallon tank? 180 lbs?

noah's nemo

I think LR is a must,glad your getting it,i can't imagine a tank without it.It provides a natural habitat for the fish and gives them caves and such to cruise around.You could do mostly base(alot cheaper)and seed it with some live..... looking forward to pics.I just got a koran and love hime.Ofcourse you know you can have no reef now..........,but i would rather have an angel anyway.
Its hard to put a lbs amount on rock.Just start getting some and fill it up.See how it looks and go from there .You can always add base right to the tank at anytime.I just added more last week.

fjoanne

thanks I am going to take things kinda slow just cause that's how I've always done it. plus it will give the tank some time to mature. If it ever gets here

I think I will get mostly base rock (way cheaper) thanks for the advise.

fjoanne

I finally got my tank and started to fill it with water over the weekend but it is uneven. one side of the water is about a 1/2 inch higher than on the other side of the tank what do you guys use to shim a tank? I've never had this problem before with my other tanks should I try to find a different place for it?

noah's nemo

I would shim it with pieces of cardboard,If its where you want.I have done this before,NP's ....Glad to hear you got it,how about a pic soon?
Good luck