Finally got New 220 filled and begin to cycle

After what seemed like forever staining and painting the stand to cleaning the glass to buying sand, live rock and equipment i finally got it started.

water is still a little cloudy from sand and salt but that should clear up soon. I cant wait to put fish in it. And also i was wondering about cycling. A lot of people say to not cycle with damsels because its impossible to get them out after you put them in. Why do people want to take them out? I kinda like how the look? Is it for some other reason other than looks?

ilovemytank

They say not to cycle with damsels because they are extremely territorial. Once they have established a territory they will protect it against what they seem a threat. They see alot of different types of fish a threat witch extremely limits your future stocking of the tank. Tank looks great. I guess you're a texas fan.

I wouldn't do the damsels, unless you are planning to keep them. And if you do, then you have to plan to have other aggressive fish to handle the damsels.
I would research and decide what type of fish you want, and make sure whatever you choose are compatible with each other.

kogle

You could easily get away with one damsel. They're not bad when kept by themselves.
Another option would be a clownfish. They're pretty hardy. I used two to cycle my 180.
Tank looks good so far.

redman1221

I would not cycle with any fish, I would use shrimp that you buy from the store and put that in there to start the cycle but that is just me. Cycle with fish is very bad because it burns the fish gills when the ammonia is real high and the nitrite is high, but don't listen to me it is your tank do what you want jm2cents.

spanko

IMO you have a good amount of live rock in there. Let the tank cycle with it. Plus when you move the rock over from the other tank it will increase your bio filtration capacity. Please don't use a fish to cycle, the ammonia is very detrimental or even deadly. Just keep an eye on your parameters as the tank is right now and when ammonian and nitrites have spiked then gone back to zero do a good 10% water change and add in the rock for your other tank.

spiderwoman

Use a deli shrimp to cycle the tank, no need to kill fish doing that. You may end up with fish that have their gills burnt if they don't die during the cycle.