finally started the 2.5

swingsett

well i did it. took 3 lbs of liverock from my established 55, aswell as sand and water. i have a 10 gallong hang on back filter, with a heater and thats all. its too small for a skimmer.
what about a fuge? what are my options for a tank this small? i was thinking of another small filter, but just removing the filter pad and putting chaeto and liverock in it. however, im only keeping shrimp and two snails in it, so whats the point of a fuge anyways?
im going to be picking up the 9" coralife light on top, hoping this is good enough for most all corals, since this is the only reason i started this tank. i want to keep some nice zoas and colorful polyps. soft corals are what interest me. maybe even xenia.
pics coming soon, i need to find some AA's for the camera. suggestions anyone?

subielover

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2830024
Well, I know most drug stores carry AA's. (hee hee)
Lol, I looked at this thread earlier and was going to recommend Duracell, lol.
I don't think you need a fuge as there shouldn't be too much of a bioload without any fish. As for the light is this the 18 watt that you are referring to? If so that should work nicely for some soft corals, and maybe a couple lps too.
Let's see some pics.

ohh i have been thinking about setting up a 2.5g when my 5.5 is a little more established and self regulated. You should throw in a sexy shrimp trio : D

A

alexmir

that sounds like a really neat tank! Cant wait to see pics. I dont think the tank would need a fuge in it if there were no fish. Just keep up on the small water changes

swingsett

didnt realize my question was reffering to batteries, haha.
sexy shrimp tri sounds cool, but i was thinking just one coral branded shrimp, or just one fire shrimp. what do you all think of these options?
i will be using the 18w coralife fixture, but i dont think ill be able to have too much coral in this tank. in a few short months if things go well, there should be zoas EVERYWHERE. what do you guys think of dosing kalkwasser in this small a tank? or normal reef buffers?

subielover

I wouldn't try to dose a tank this small. Just keep up on water changes and use a quality salt mix. Also, I don't think that you should put a coral banded shrimp in, they get aggressive and with this small of a tank, I would think he would kill the fire shrimp quickly. JMO

swingsett

oh, if i got a cbs, it would be the only animal in the tank period. no snails, or other inverts. however, i just watched some vids of sexy shrimp on youtube, they look pretty funny and exciting. 3 of those would be fun too.
im not going to have any pics until atleast thursday, i set the tank up and then left to go home to florida for a week. thats when i get back, and thats when ill post new pics.