Finally took the leap and jumped in!

khaari

Only 1 out of the 3 nearby does. The one I prefer to go to uses them himself on his displays. Usually he will use a different brand to test his customers water but since I showed him my results and explained them he decided to use his personal test kits just to be fully sure. Of course I had to be absolutely sure myself so I went ahead and got my own
Looks like I may be adding a part of my cleanup crew sooner than I thought as long as everything stays the same. Although, I was looking forward to being able to track my progress through the cycle. It figures, I wait a few years to start the tank and I completely skip the whole cycle.
Ah well guess I'll just have to wait it out and see for sure. ***)

thud

Originally Posted by Khaari
Only 1 out of the 3 nearby does. The one I prefer to go to uses them himself on his displays. Usually he will use a different brand to test his customers water but since I showed him my results and explained them he decided to use his personal test kits just to be fully sure. Of course I had to be absolutely sure myself so I went ahead and got my own
Looks like I may be adding a part of my cleanup crew sooner than I thought as long as everything stays the same. Although, I was looking forward to being able to track my progress through the cycle. It figures, I wait a few years to start the tank and I completely skip the whole cycle.
Ah well guess I'll just have to wait it out and see for sure. ***)
Lucky you!

khaari

Still nothing. Here are the test results today:
Temp - 80.3
SG/Salinity - 1.026/35 ppt
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Ph - 8.2
Alk - 12
Calcium - 500
Phos - 0
1 piece of shrimp disintegrated, 1 piece has been dragged under a rock and is half eaten, and the third piece is being bounced along the bottom by the current. Thats 3 pieces of raw shrimp and still nothing registers on the kit. Currently have 1 hitch hiker shrimp, 3 hermit crabs, several tiny feather dusters, 2 small polyps and what appears to look like a mushroom. The hitch hiker shrimp lives under the rock where the half eaten raw shrimp currently is, so I think he may be making a meal of it. I'm completely stumped as to why I dont have any readings yet. If anyone has any thoughs please chime in.
Oh and when do diatoms usually appear in the cycle? During, towards the end, or After?

renogaw

diatoms can show up anytime, but is a great sign. If you have that much rotting in your tank and nothing showing up, i'd say its safe to assume your cycle is complete since you've had so many tests done.

khaari

well ive got diatoms and some hair algae so i added a cleanup crew of 3 red leg hermits, 3 zebra turbo snails, and an emerald crab. I found 3 blue leg hermits that were hitch hikers. Everything was acclimated and added to the tank late friday evening. So far everyone is moving around and eating fine. All tests still read zero but I will keep an eye on things just in case.

renogaw

that's good, go slow and be safe. let the CUC do its work, then add your fish when you feel safe enough :)

khaari

lighting is the sunpod fixture from current USA. !50 watt HQI metal halide 14,000k bulb and 6 leds. 3 white and 3 blue.