Finger Leather

blacktahoe

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I just wanted to post a few pictures of my Finger Leather. It is about 15 inches wide by 20 inches long. It is spreading 3 ways as you can see in the pictures. I wanted to cut it and seperate it into many other parts but I am not sure about doing that. Sorry the pictures suck because they are from my phone.... Let me know what you think about it! Thanks!
It's a 55 gallon tank with only this Finger Leather, Fiji Live Rock, 3 yellow tail damsels, 1 red anenome crab and a 3 inch horseshoe crab.

reefkprz

fragging that is pretty simple. just use a scalpel or new razor slice off the piece you want and rubber band it to a rock. do this in a seperate bucket rinse and let sit for a minute so it doesnt "bleed" polution into your tank. run carbon on your tank for 24 hours after doing thuis to pick up any stray orghanic pollution. thats a huge finger leather good luck with your new tank.

blacktahoe

Thanks for the information. Do you know how much these sell for in the stores? I was looking online but I do not seen any... Is there a downside to letting it continue to grow without slice and dicing it?

michaeltx

no nothing bad about not fragging it just add some rock around it and it will split itself if you look at the base of it thats what its trying to do. If you leave it alone with out adding some more rock around it then it could start causeing problems. I would get a larger rock to epoxy the other one to and make a real show piece out of it if it was mine. Thats a huge coral on a small rock so its competing for space. In the wild the 2 sides that look like they are trying to pull away from the main branch would have some more rock to pull and rip itself away from the rest of the coral.
as far as price one that size is considered show piece and would fetch a pretty penny probably 100$ or more. small speceimens around here can go for as much as 40$ much much smaller that yours.
mike

blacktahoe

Thanks. I got a 2 1/2 lb Fiji live rock and placed it underneath of the leather...I swear this thing has actually grown since this post...I am going to place it in a 100 gallon soon. It is now about 3/4 the way to the top of the 55 Gallon and it can stretch to almost half the tank. I have it placed to the far left and it can almost reach half way to the other side. Thanks for all of the info!