Finished the Fallow!

Shilpan

Hey guys just needed some help with the quarantine process.
So I lost all my fish to velvet and ich (poor quarantine procedure on my part) a few months ago. In 3 weeks time I will have completed 13 weeks of fallow. Definitely no contamination as there have not been any fish in my house. Just snails, hermit crab, corals and a shrimp in my 100 gallon.

So I had real trouble maintaining 0 ammonia in my 40gallon hospital/quarantine tank (no meds have been in it). I’m getting 2 clownfish first.

1)So to avoid this ammonia issue, if I start cycling my quarantine now, and then add my 2 clowns in when it’s finished cycling, I probably won’t need do 50% water changes a day right? I should be able to stick to the weekly 15% water changes like I do on my big tank? My quarantine tank is 40 gallons with heater, huge canister filter rates for 80gallons which I’m gonna run on my 100gallon for 3 weeks to soak up bacteria, 1L of seachem matrix and no light (I use sunlight to view fish). Anything else I need? I was hoping the small amount of flow from the canister filter is sufficient? Or should I go buy a power head?

2) I’ve opted for quarantine for 5 weeks, and only medicating if I see white spots or other disease on these 2 clownfish. Is this still good practice? Are there any other tips you would reccomend to someone who’s trying to get their quarantine process right? (I understand for higher risk fish like tangs I would need to medicate pre-emptively)

silverado61

Even with the canister filter I would use two power heads at about 600GPH each. You need to saturate the water column with oxygen and I'm afraid the canister filter wouldn't provide enough and the clowns would suffocate.

Shilpan

Oh yeah I do have an attachment to the canister filter which changes that outlet to a spray bar which causes heaps of bubbling. I used that when I treated my previous 8 fish.
I’ll also add in a power head thank you very much :) definitely don’t want my fish suffocating.

lmforbis

I’d go wit at least one power head two would be better. The fish like water movement that you won’t get from the filter.

Shilpan

Thank you I’ll do that

If I DONT end up medicating (as is usually the case disease is rare here due to our customs quarantine), and I go 6 weeks without issues is it fine to use that same water again to quarantine a next batch of fish? Because that means there was no diseases in it?

Or is that too risky?