finishing a basement

jacrmill

We've been trying to clean up our basement. We are going to dig a trench outside to keep water from getting into the basement. Then we are going to DryLok the basement walls. But our walls are currently painted right now, and DryLok says their stuff cant go on painted walls. I am running into some problems trying to figure out how to get the paint off these cinder block walls. any ideas from somebody out there with some home improvement experience?

devil dog

I would pressure wash them... But i would not waste your money useing the DryLok the two times i have used it... it didn't work most of it came off in big sheets after about two days...
Are you getting water in there now? if so it is not going to help

jacrmill

right now it gets water, but we are going to dig a trench on both sides of the house to increase the drainage. So it should be pretty dry after that, the DryLok would just be to prevent a little moisture from getting in to ruin the paint that we are going to use. Im going to Lowes after I get off work, if anybody else has an idea Id love to hear it.

rockman

Rent a sandblaster!

That way you start out with clean block and the dryloc will perform like it should.

jacrmill

i was at home depot and found some behr sealer....it said it would seal over in tact paint, but to just remove flaking paint. Behr also sold a paint remover from masonory. so I bought those, wish me luck, thanks for you help.

jacrmill

i used a little of the paint stripper last night. it actually worked pretty well in the spots where there was a lot of it, and it also took a while to dry. But after that the paint came off pretty well. since it doesnt have to be perfect, I think this is going to work fine.
Thanks again
jacob