Fire at home - tank put out fire!

shawnts106

Gah Thats a HORIBLE death, to be boiled to death!... woooo
WELL LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!... AT LEAST THE COMPUTER WAS SAVED SO YOU CAN GET ONLINE AND KEEP UP WITH SWF.COM MESSAGE BOARDS! :D
lol, sorry I really am sorry about the fire thingy, but just had to add some light hearted-ness into this tragic situation!

ninjamini

Originally posted by Randy 13
ninjamini - I'll PM you. THank you very much. I know my daughter will really appreciate it. I know I do.

I dont know why but it looks like PM is offline for me. drop me an email:
ninjagator2000
at
yahoo.com

noninja

Randy 13:
Sorry to hear about your loss.
However, thanks for the info.
Immediately went down and took the same above-mentioned power strip off and replaced it with an APC.:joy:

randy 13

Here is one more photo showing the soot and smoke damage in the master bath, which was down the hall, and through the master bedroom from the fire.

scary

So sorry. Thank god everyone is safe. Smoke damage alone is the main killer in a fire. The wall switch plate picture is so creepy, you can't even imagine how hot that room must of been! They say that that doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I truly believe there is a reason for everything, thank you for sharing and bringing this to our attention, I'm sure everyone who read this has taken a second look at their powerstrip setup.
You taking the time, when you are so busy with this, to let everyone here know what can happen was very nice of you. Thank you.

xpdition03

I know it's pretty old but I just saw this post and wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss.
What did you have plugged into the strip? What was the outcome?

fmelindy

Man, I found that those coralife powerstrips suck anyway. I only had one and he lasted approximately a month before the timer part of it was busted, rendering the whole point of the strip useless! Anybody else have any experiences with them to relate?

sw65galma

Were those on all GFCI Circuits? I've said this before...ANY Plug even Near a tank should be GFCI
And the ones that are actually near the tank should be GFCI Outlets too...
I know I watched salt water drip into a power strip and it stayed on smoking, i was thinking it would trip, it didn't...after that I've GFCIed everything!

randy 13

No, it was not on a GFCI. However, fire investigator said it wouldn't have made a difference in this case.
I had PC light, heater, powerhead. Definately not overloaded! It was a fairly new strip and I know I never dripped water in it. The investigator said the fire started where the lights were plugged in. I had it in my office in the house so it's possible the timer stopped turning the lights off. I would not have noticed because I'm not in my office at night.
I sent ESU a copy of the fire investigator's report along with photos about a month ago and I haven't heard from them. I called today and he doesn't recall getting it and he said he would call me back today but didn't.

xpdition03

That's pretty crazy and it sucks that you haven't had any progress yet, I just bought that same power strip, but I'mma go find a better surge protector.

sw65galma

There has to be somethng that is safer...or will prevent a fire...i can't see how a gfci wouldn't help...
Can you ask the investigator if there is anything that could prevent this?...I am very scared as I have about 10 power stripes for my tank and the tank is downstairs as we sleep up stairs...So i'm very concerned on how to minimize the risk of fire..

xpdition03

Originally Posted by sw65galma
There has to be somethng that is safer...or will prevent a fire...i can't see how a gfci wouldn't help...
Can you ask the investigator if there is anything that could prevent this?...I am very scared as I have about 10 power stripes for my tank and the tank is downstairs as we sleep up stairs...So i'm very concerned on how to minimize the risk of fire..
I put a fire alarm right above my tank, just in case... !!!!

nemo lover

THANK GOD YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE ALRIGHT. And thank god for insurance too. Randy I know the insurance company does not replace fish. Maybe you could claim a bit more for your "custom tank" and it might help replace your fish.
Also I have stuffed animals out my behind my two daughters 5 and 2 would be more than happy to send some. Please give me an email at mballin2@bellsouth.net
Maybe if you/or you reccomend your insurance company to do some reasearch on this power strip online. Get a hold of other people who had this problem, maybe get statements(etc) you/or your insurance company might have a better chance on fighting them. Also you might be able to get the product discontinued, and save some lives/homes.