fire fish chasing clown

kimgpk

I have a clown fish and a purple fire fish they have been in the tank for a little over 2 weeks. They were added - the same time. So now the fire fish seems to be chasing the clown around the tank. when I bought the fish the store never said they were not compatiable. Is this normal behavior. :help:

cain420

did the store tell you they were compatible? did u check on that first b4 purchasing?
here is a little info for future purchases.. click here that page tells a little about certain fishes traits..
what kind of clown is it?

kimgpk

It is True Percula. They told me they would be fine together. They're the only fish in there. I have some inverts
1 Peppermint shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Emerald Crabs
2 Snails

cain420

got rockwork?? try moving it around, which sometimes confuses the fish and they have to re-establish their territory and may get along.. or they may not! some fish just have an attitude problem!

W

winstew

Originally Posted by cain420
.. or they may not! some fish just have an attitude problem!

like some people.........

fraggle_a

Percula can apparently be somewhat teratorial.
I was advised to add my 'Nemo Fish' last if at all possible, or at least add a fish or two in first before the clown.

oozy

Hi,
these compatibility lists are really only "guidelines" as each fish has its own personality traits.
I have a butterfly who was being chased by an angel, when i added a fire goby the butterfly stoped being chaised, but started chaseing the fire goby...
***)
so here is the thing, unless your clown is exibiting signs of stress i would not worry too much about it.
things you can do:
get another goby;as they will school
get another clown, as they like to pair up.
rearange your rock
do nothing and hope for the best.
also it would help if you posted your tank size, because some fish are more treritorial than others.
also you will need, or should have a hole for your goby to hide in and sleep in.
goodluck
-oozy-

kimgpk

I have a lot of rock work(sorry no pics can't get any good ones) and the goby only hides at night from what i have seen. I have a 46gal Bow front. Like I said before I only have the 2 fish besides the small clean up crew I have. The clown doesn't seemed to be stressed (at least right now).

chipmaker

Well my two tanks with clows and fire fish all do fine, and no one chases anyone. If anything the firefish seem to be more shy and afraid of their own shadow, as compared to the nosey clowns.