fire fish?

gobyguy7

hi,
i was wondering, does snyone here have anyy expirience with fire fish? i really want to get one but i heard that crabs and brissle worms eat them alive! anyway, if you have had any expirience keeping one let me know.
thanks

wolffam

I have one of these in my tank and it does well. It shares the same spot as my bar goby at night. They block up the opening to their cave, and nothing seems to get in it. So I think it'll be able to take care of itself. I have heard that they do better if more than one is in the tank.

pufferlover

They do tend to like being in pairs altho they will do ok alone. The 2 most common are the regular magenta and white and the Purple Firefish which is purple, white and red. The purples cost more but are VERY pretty fish. I have had a few of both and altho they like cleaner wrasses are hard to get as healthy long living fish once in a while you get the perfect one. I had a pair in my 58 reef and one died quite a while ago the female is still in there doing fine and not bothering a soul.

goofieones

I have a purple firefish, it is alone, and does great. Not skitish at all, stays out all the time. Crabs don't bother him and vise versa. Very nice fish. Eats like a pig and pretty hardy once established.

wpb, fl

I've had a firefish in a 92 gallon tank shared with 8 other fish, including a Neon Dottyback and Japanese Wrass for about 3 weeks. The Dottyback tormented the firefish the first 3 days and he spent the first week and a half under a rock. Now he's out and about, but slightly nervous, and seems to be doing ok. I've got a bunch of crabs and haven't noticed a problem with them yet.

harris

I have had one for over 1.5 years now, a little skitish, sleeps under a rock. Fast as hell, but beautiful to look at. No problems with my blue legs or red legs.

grouperhead

everyone else has summed it up exept for one thing.....cover your top! firefish are incredible jumpers and if they find an opening or they ar spooked by something they will be out of the tank in no time. bo
[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Grouperhead ]

oozy

ive got one in my 20g. its with a perc. they get along fine but the fire is kind of skittish. the real threat comes from my cat who loves to jump at it, the cat finds no real intrest with the perc, only because i think the cat knows the fire will react to her.
all in all i like the fire goby alot, eats like a pig too.
-Oozy-