Fire Shrimp

Not sure if this is where I should post this but here goes.
What do you guys (and gals) think about fire shrimp. I think they are cool as hell but I know nothing about them. Are they reef safe? Any info would be great.
Thank You,

N

newreefers

If it is the samething as my blood shrimp he is very reef safe. mine is not agressive in any way. this is my blood shrimp

P

pa reef pig

Never had one but I hear they are a bit shy. Not as boisterous as the scarlet cleaner shrimp.

buzz

Well, what do you want to know?
The Blood Red Fire Shrimp, also known as Blood Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, or Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, is one of the most popular shrimp in the aquarium hobby. It has a blood red body with white spots and a long white antennae. Depending on which region of the Indo-Pacific from which it originates, it may have the white dots just on its carapace, or covering its entire body.
The Blood Red Fire Shrimp prefers a habitat providing them with a cave or overhang where the lighting is not too intense. While it will tolerate its mate, others of its own kind will be chased away or harassed. It is generally peaceful with most other organisms in the reef system unless they impinge on its territory. As a "cleaner shrimp", it will set up cleaning stations and remove dead tissue and parasites from fish that present themselves. It will also scavenge for meaty bits along the substrate bottom. Often, only its antennae will be visible. It will not tolerate copper or high levels of nitrates in the aquarium, but will require correct levels of iodine in the water to promote proper molting.
The diet of the Blood Red Fire Shrimp should inlcude freeze-dried, live or frozen foods, and flaked foods.
From ***********.com (to give credit where it is due)

reef fool

They are not as active a regular (skunk) cleaner shrimp IMO. My cleaners and my sally lightfoot are the life of the tank. Peppermints and blood shrimp seem to hide when lights are on. Haven't seen my peps in weeks (unless I shine a flashlight in the dark spots in the LR).

j21kickster

most docile fish are ok- there are fish that would potentially kill it and eat it- triggers, large wrasses, larger lions, eels- just depends

wrassecal

I have two cleaners and 1 fire shrimp. The fireshrimp is moody some days hanging around under a ledge and hiding all day and sometimes coming out and hanging around with the cleaners. It is the only shrimp my yellow tang will let clean it and that looks pretty cool him riding on the tang. He is such a bright red with white dots. I've had it for about 9 months and he is getting big. He's beautiful and it really shocks people who don't know he's in there and are looking at the tank when he comes crawling over a rock. I love mine!:D

jpribelin

my fire shrimp usually stays under a ledge. he never comes out to clean any of the fish, the fish go to him. He will only come out of the rock to clean my hand :) and to eat.