Fire Worm STING

seannmelly

Thursday, at work, I picked up a piece of coral for a customer, and didn't look underneath it, and got stung by a fire worm. The worm was probably close to 3" and 1/4-1/2" wide. It hurt like ---- for the rest of the day. I looked at my finger today, and where I got stung, the top of my pinky finger, are raised bumps, that look swollen. Has this happened to anyone, and is there anything I can do? I ran it under hot water when it first happened. My boss told me I had to pee on it, but was definately not about to do that. I just seems like top part of my finger is swollen, because when I bend it, it feels funny.
Melly

renogaw

haha, didnt you see survivor when that guy put his hand on something in the ocean and the nurse had to pee on his hand to get rid of the sting?

seannmelly

Originally Posted by renogaw
haha, didnt you see survivor when that guy put his hand on something in the ocean and the nurse had to pee on his hand to get rid of the sting?
lol no, but probably glad I didn't see that too lol. It doesn't really hurt unless you start touching it. But there tons of tiny little bumbs on the top part of my pinky that feel swollen, and it feels hot too. Idk, I hope it goes away, because it's kinda freaking me out.
Melly

ryanhayes9

Bristleworm Sting Treatment
Treatment for a bristleworm bite or sting includes the following:
Apply topical acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.
Remove bristles with tweezers or adhesive tape.
If severe inflammation and a continual burning sensation develop, apply hydrocortisone cream 3 times per day.
If signs of infection are present, such as pus, redness, or heat, apply topical antibiotic ointment.
Oral antibiotics are usually recommended to prevent infection. If infection develops, continue antibiotics for at least 5 days after all signs of infection have cleared. Check for drug allergy prior to starting any antibiotic. A doctor will recommend the right antibiotic. Some antibiotics can cause sensitivity to the sun, so use a sunscreen (at least SPF 15).
Pain may be relieved with 1-2 acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours and/or 1-2 ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every 6-8 hours.

defect808

You have to use vinegar, it dissolves the bristles. As for the peeing thing, I just moved to california from hawaii, and in hawaii we had a lot of poisoness sea urchins. The quick fix way to make the stinging go away while you were at the beach is to pee on it. Does the same thing as the vinegar.

seannmelly

Thanks for the info everybody!! It's not painful any more, just uncomfortable.
Defect, do I just soak my finger in vinegar, or just pour some on then wipe it off? I think I will buy a little container to bring to work, because I am sure this will happen again. O yea, and if it does dissolve he bristles, the bumps on my finger should go away right?? Thanks again!
Melly

S

saltfreak4

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
If severe inflammation and a continual burning sensation develop, apply hydrocortisone cream 3 times per day.
If signs of infection are present, such as pus, redness, or heat, apply topical antibiotic ointment.
Oral antibiotics are usually recommended to prevent infection. If infection develops, continue antibiotics for at least 5 days after all signs of infection have cleared. Check for drug allergy prior to starting any antibiotic. A doctor will recommend the right antibiotic. Some antibiotics can cause sensitivity to the sun, so use a sunscreen (at least SPF 15).
Pain may be relieved with 1-2 acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours and/or 1-2 ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every 6-8 hours.
OK Ryan, where do you get this info?

oceanists

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9

Ryan your awesome

R

raysilver4

I had very bad fireworm stings on my fingers from working with coral. It was terrible itching and burning and extremely swollen. On a whim, I put some of my glycolic acid/clay facemask on my fingers, and in about 10 minutes I'd say I had about 80% improvement. I'm not sure if it's the acid dissolving the bristles, or the clay removing the impurities, but it's brought very welcome relief! Here is the on that I used... http://reviews.vitacost.com/4595/83824/derma-e-vitamin-a-pore-refining-mask-4-oz-reviews/reviews.htm, but another mask with clay and glycolic acid may work too...